wind drift/ballistics question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 300 RUM and I am loading with data from a Nosler reloading manual. I am loading 96 grain of H1000 under a 180 grain Nosler Accubond. I don't have access to a chrono at this time, but manual is showing about 3200 fps.
Wind drift? About how much wind drift should I expect for a 10, 15, and 20 mph cross wind at 200, 300 and 400 yards.

Ballistic coefficient is .507 if I remember correctly. (I reload at my dads, so I don't have the manual here to refer to.) I think velocity published is 3247 so I used the 3200 and 3300 ballistics data in the manual.

Thanks for any help.

I shot some on Friday at 400 yards with a 10-15 cross wind. I am just trying to see what more experienced folks and ballistics programs will show. I will be shooting once more during the week before going on an Elk hunt.

udiablo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the velocity listed in the nosler manual is based on a specific barrel length, rate of twist, and use of specific brand/capacity of brass, and the bullet seating depth is not specified.

In other words, your particular rifle and load will yield unique results.

Suggest you locate someone with a chronograph and check a few of your loads.

That way, you can input your actual data in the ballistics program and will be good to go.

udiablo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the velocity listed in the nosler manual is based on a specific barrel length, rate of twist, and use of specific brand/capacity of brass, and the bullet seating depth is not specified.

In other words, your particular rifle and load will yield unique results.

Suggest you locate someone with a chronograph and check a few of your loads.

That way, you can input your actual data in the ballistics program and will be good to go.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bump. I had to find the ballistics program again. Now that I have some velocities from a chronograph.

Huckleberry75 is a bad influence on me. He worked over my trigger, and I shot through his chronograph. The next day, I ordered a Bell and Carlson Medalist M40 Varmint/Tactical Rifle Stock with Aluminum Bedding Block System and Adjustable Butt Plate Varmint Barrel Channel. I couldn't wait for it to come in, so I took a dremel and sand paper to the stock to free float it. Now if I could just find more time to shoot.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
What's the barrel length on your .300? I shoot about the same, 107gr RL 25 with a 180gr NAB out of my Sako .30-378. I've been telling myself for ten years I was going to put a 30" barrel on it and still haven't.

Latest posts

Top Bottom