Wind Shield Replacement- 'Follow Up Report'

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any recommendation for 2007 GMC pick up wind shield replacement? I'm considering the body shop next to Aldi's in Yukon. West side. They advertise for glass replacement.
The main player is Safe Lite of course but if you read their warrant they DO NOT warranty for water leaks. Go figure.
You Tube is full of cars leaking while it's raining or going thru a car wash that used Safe Lite. I don't know how they survive.
Just trying to do my home work to avoid a time consuming boon doggle.

Last edited:

BallisticGuy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m a glass guy, but not in your area. Call a few local auto glass shops in your area and get a few prices. If that body shop has glass tech in house go for it! If not they’re subletting to a mobile glass shop and up charging you. If you don’t have a rain sensor or wiper defrosters it should be relatively cheap.

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m a glass guy, but not in your area. Call a few local auto glass shops in your area and get a few prices. If that body shop has glass tech in house go for it! If not they’re subletting to a mobile glass shop and up charging you. If you don’t have a rain sensor or wiper defrosters it should be relatively cheap.
I've done some reading and there is much to learn about the quality of glass to be used.
Any basic suggestion? So many 'approval' stamps in the lower corner of the glass. Mind boggling.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We recently had my wife's Subaru Outback's windshield replaced by City Glass in OKC. She dropped it off in the morning and they gave her a ride to her work and she picked the car up after work. I don't recall what we paid, but I thought it was reasonable. The glass looks like factory and quality. We have had no leaks.

I have read or heard the car should not be moved for a period of time to allow the adhesive to cure or otherwise there can be leaks.

Hope that helps!

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The last time I had a windshield replaced was '99 or '00, and Binswanger in Norman did it in the parking lot of my office. IIRC, they said most leaks were from blowouts in the adhesive caused by slamming the doors with the windows up before the adhesive had fully cured. I followed their instructions and kept the windows rolled down a bit for about a week, and the windshield never leaked.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We've only had to have one windshield be replaced in all our years of driving. Got a rock chip that was under the windshield wiper that wasn't seen and the crack began before the chip could be fixed. We used Penn Auto Glass up on Britton Road. While we did run that vehicle through a car wash a couple of times, we never saw any leaks. We have since traded vehicles, so I can't speak to how long the seal will stay good.

We did wait on the windshield to be replaced. It took a while but there was a nice coffee shop just a few doors down from the glass shop.

Latest posts

Top Bottom