Winter weather and wildlife

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's not going to be good for them, that's for sure.
I was upland hunting that year as well as every year since the mid 70's through lots of snow storms.
Was kind of amazed in how those critters survived. Big snow drift in a field with a tiny hole going into it around some brush.
Bird tracks as well as other game tracks going in and out in different areas. The brush created a cavity the snow was bridged over so the birds took advantage of it, going out to forage for seeds. Snow caves maintain a 32 degree temp for the most part no matter the ambient temp.
Some will survive and some will succumb to predators. Mother nature will let them repopulate.
I remember that year of quail hunting. Buddys Brittany stood on top of a thicket about 3 foot off the ground pointing a covey. They came out 1-2 at a time about every 5-10 seconds out of one little hole. Fun times

STS11

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
swampratt got fined once for killing an endangered spotted owl. When he went to court, the judge ask for his plea, and swampratt said, "Your honor, I plead guilty but with mitigating circumstances. May I explain?" The judge said sure, go ahead.

swampratt said, "Well, you see your honor, I was out in the woods, all alone, and was lost for a while. I wasn't sure how long it would take to find my way out, and I was starving. The only edible thing I saw in the woods was that spotted owl, so I did what I had to do. Otherwise, I would NEVER kill an endangered creature. I throw myself on the mercy of the court."

The judge said, "Well, okay. Under those circumstances, I guess we can let you off with a warning. But... just one question. What does spotted owl taste like?"

"Oh, I guess I'd say somewhere between a condor and a whooping crane."

:laughup:
Didn't see that one coming.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Out feeding on wheat.

20210214_131614.jpg

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Saw a few robins again today when I went to the mailbox, but it was too cold & windy to quiz 'em about gang affiliations...
:drunk2:

Had one drop dead in my dog pen last night. Took the dog out to pee and he was just sitting there all peaceful looking. He wasn't there at 5pm and was at 10. I checked on him and he was already a popsicle. Kinda sad. :(

Latest posts

Top Bottom