Women shooting shotguns..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PFXD 45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is the reason for this posting.

I have been shooting a 12 gauge for as long as I can remember, I was shooting one at the age of 10, you see I have been a big guy all my life, I have built home defense shotguns before, and I am building one again. But this time I have a little problem.

You see I have to build one that my wife can also shoot. she is a small lady, and I am feeling that she would have trouble with one I set up for myself..

This would be a strictly home defense shotgun only.

Have any of your wives or any of the women had any trouble shooting the shotguns set up for you. (or men)

Have they used the adjustable stock like for a AR?...

If they have are they having trouble with them?

Or are there any problems I am not aware of or thinking of that I should be aware of?.

Thank in advance guys..

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pumps are heavy and require some upper body strength. A short shock(10-12") is an absolute must to decrease her "stretch" if you're using a pump. I'd suggest reduced recoil loads, if its 12g. Kick-Eez is the most recoil absorbing pad, IMO, but some may differ.

The adjustable Ar-style stock might be a good solution for a gun that fits both of you, but either way, I'd want a good pad, and all this is adding weight...

I like a short stock, for me, so I would cut a factor stock to around 10" LOP, and add a 1" pad, though you can certainly do with 1/4-1/2" and be comfortable with a KE pad.

tiny68

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife keeps my son's 870 youth 20ga next to the bed as her home defense gun. It is light. The shorter length of pull and short barrel makes a very compact package. It kicks pretty good with 3" buckshot, but she shots clays with it at the house with 3/4 oz trap loads and loves it. Couldn't think of a better house defense package for the house. Tim

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has she tried your shotgun? That would be the place to start. If she can handle it ok, problem solved.

If she can handle it, but doesn't like the recoil, there are some really good reduced recoil loads available. If it is too big for her, I'd suggest looking into a youth model.

I have a Knox recoil reducing stock on an 870 that I added for my wife. It is adjustable for length, but I don't like it. It's terrible for shooting clays, but probably not as bad for for SD point-and-shoot situations. I can't get my cheek on it like a shotgun should fit and where one of the seams are it scratches my face sometimes. I would much rather have a standard stock. It does help with the felt recoil though. I don't know what part of the country, you're in, but I'd let her try it if you're this way.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When my exMarine exLEO father passed I got his guns: a Savage .410 pump,a Franchi 20gg, and a Weatherby Vangaurd; several other rifles and pistols,revolvers,etcetc. And then I have my own- a cheapo deapo Mossberg 88 12gg,and my fave Benelli Nova 18" 12gg tactical. Everything is put up in the safe and has been for years except the Mosserg and Nova, which is my main HD go-to.

My wife is like 5'4" x 130 and keeps a Taurus .38/.357 near her bed. The Nova is usually under my side of the bed when I'm gone out on the road and then its situated most any where around the house that I am when Im home. When I'm gone she and the kids all know where it is and all know how to use it if they had to I feel confident in that as we do go out and they get to shoot our guns periodically. I'm glad too because she can not and will not rack the slides on any of my pistols and besides that .38 she needs something else,IMO,just in case.

We like to go down to our land on Saturdays here and there with the kids,18 and 14, to ride their moto bikes and mudd in the Blazer,and shoot. We have a place setup to shoot at and my wife will shoot with us,I bring various guns for them to shoot. The Nova sometimes is a bit much for her but she has shot it and I'm confident that she could shoot it if she had to. She knows about the recoil and understands in a HD situation it would be a matter of just point and shoot. She grew up with a hunter/fisherman/outdoorsman father who worked at AA on nights and she says her mom always carried her dads 12gg around the house from room to room when he would be gone.

Latest posts

Top Bottom