Wooden facade of my chimney is leaking - Need Recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerTactical

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guys,
I have a wooden chimney facade (around a metal pipe) which is leaks and either needs repairing or rebuilding. I have NO issue and would actually prefer to assist in the project so I can get the experience, but I'm looking for some recommendations, names, forums, guidance, etc.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This can be a problem. Most of the wooden facades are simple 2x4 or 2x6 frames with some kind of "siding"...T111, masonite, stucco, etc. The rain water can come in on the bottom at the roof shingles, anywhere on the sides of the facade or on the top of the facade. Honestly the easiest way to fix it is to completely take it apart and rebuild it. This way you know exactly what you have. I know this idea sucks but if you did the complete rebuild you'll have the issue over and done with.

bahammer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When you re-side it us a HardyBoard type siding, will last forever. How you flash it is a big deal also, from the roof and in between the siding sheets. They have a special "Z" flashing to use between the siding sheets that makes that part super easy.

Bear88SS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of this very project and have a tarp over my chimney, better figure cost for a full rebuild and be pleasantly surprised if you can reuse the flashing and parts of the frame.

Edit: if you want to see what you are getting into give me a pm and swing by Yukon.

SoonerTactical

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys. All the help is much appreciated. I really want to make this pass inspection so I'll be able to sell it in the next year or so. I just didn't grow up with a chimney, so I never had to maintain or repair them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom