Words of Wisdom from Thomas Sowell

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hodrod

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
“The key fallacy of so-called gun control laws is that such laws do not in fact control guns. They simply disarm law-abiding citizens, while people bent on violence find firearms readily available.

If gun control zealots had any respect for facts, they would have discovered this long ago, because there have been too many factual studies over the years to leave any serious doubt about gun control laws being not merely futile but counterproductive.

Places and times with the strongest gun control laws have often been places and times with high murder rates. Washington, DC, is a classic example, but just one among many.” – Thomas Sowell

nemesis

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The anti gun lunatic has no interest in facts. "Don't confuse me with Truth! My mind is made up!"

So, for them..............

http://www.thinklikeacop.org/guncontrol.html

(Excerpted)

There are 30,000 gun related deaths per year by firearms. That is, 0.000000925% of the population die from gun related actions each year. Statistically speaking, this is insignificant!

What is never told, however, is a breakdown of those 30,000 deaths, to put them in perspective as compared to other causes of death:

• 65% of those deaths are by suicide which would never be prevented by gun laws
• 15% are by law enforcement in the line of duty and justified
• 17% are through criminal activity, gang and drug related or mentally ill persons – gun violence
• 3% are accidental discharge deaths

So technically, "gun violence" is not 30,000 annually, but drops to 5,100. Still too many? Well, first, how are those deaths spanned across the nation?

480 homicides (9.4%) were in Chicago

344 homicides (6.7%) were in Baltimore

333 homicides (6.5%) were in Detroit

119 homicides (2.3%) were in Washington D.C. (a 54% increase over prior years)

So basically, 25% of all gun crime happens in just 4 cities. All 4 of those cities have strict gun laws, so it is not the lack of law that is the root cause.

So here are some other causes of deaths per year:

40,000 plus die from a drug overdose (Drugs are outlawed and controlled)

36,000 people die each year from the flu, far exceeding the criminal gun deaths

34,000 people die each year in traffic fatalities (exceeding gun deaths even if you include suicide)

Now for the big numbers:

- 200,000+ people die each year (and growing) from preventable medical errors. (Imagine this, you are safer in Chicago than when in a hospital, but cameras and videotaping medical procedures are outlawed?)

- 710,000 people die per year from heart disease. That's 142 times more people than die by guns.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The anti gun lunatic has no interest in facts. "Don't confuse me with Truth! My mind is made up!"

So, for them..............

http://www.thinklikeacop.org/guncontrol.html

(Excerpted)

There are 30,000 gun related deaths per year by firearms. That is, 0.000000925% of the population die from gun related actions each year. Statistically speaking, this is insignificant!

What is never told, however, is a breakdown of those 30,000 deaths, to put them in perspective as compared to other causes of death:

• 65% of those deaths are by suicide which would never be prevented by gun laws
• 15% are by law enforcement in the line of duty and justified
• 17% are through criminal activity, gang and drug related or mentally ill persons – gun violence
• 3% are accidental discharge deaths

So technically, "gun violence" is not 30,000 annually, but drops to 5,100. Still too many? Well, first, how are those deaths spanned across the nation?

480 homicides (9.4%) were in Chicago

344 homicides (6.7%) were in Baltimore

333 homicides (6.5%) were in Detroit

119 homicides (2.3%) were in Washington D.C. (a 54% increase over prior years)

So basically, 25% of all gun crime happens in just 4 cities. All 4 of those cities have strict gun laws, so it is not the lack of law that is the root cause.

So here are some other causes of deaths per year:

40,000 plus die from a drug overdose (Drugs are outlawed and controlled)

36,000 people die each year from the flu, far exceeding the criminal gun deaths

34,000 people die each year in traffic fatalities (exceeding gun deaths even if you include suicide)

Now for the big numbers:

- 200,000+ people die each year (and growing) from preventable medical errors. (Imagine this, you are safer in Chicago than when in a hospital, but cameras and videotaping medical procedures are outlawed?)

- 710,000 people die per year from heart disease. That's 142 times more people than die by guns.

And then there are hundreds of thousands of abortions performed each year, but there are too many out there that think nothing of killing babies and would rally against any movement to curtail that horrific practice.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And then there are hundreds of thousands of abortions performed each year, but there are too many out there that think nothing of killing babies and would rally against any movement to curtail that horrific practice.

I wouldn't rally against it, but I sure ain't complaining about reducing the number of future criminals. Planned Parenthood - crime fighting heroes I tell ya!

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sowell has always had my respect, he speaks volumes and always speaks with authority. I like Leo Terrell also, he was a Democrat and has seen the light illuminate on the error of his ways and is now a staunch Republican.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen plenty of people on the left absolutely discounting him as a complete quack who spouts BS constantly.

Just goes to show how easy it is to discount someone from an opposing viewpoint - no matter their credibility, experience, civility or sense.
Most people that hinge their decisions on emotion can't help but assume anything that is completely logic driven can't be the right answer. It is as impossible for them to fathom as it is for a logic driven person to try and relate to an emotionally driven decision. Sowell's logic and support for his statements definitely resonates with me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom