Worst. Hunting. Season. Ever.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So far the 2014-2015 hunting season has shaped up to be the worst yet for me. I've seen close to 30 deer or so in the field during archery season, none closer than 50 yards. A member here was kind enough to let me take a doe off of his property during rifle season, but I messed that up by missing a fairly easy 125 yard shot.
I've been out for ducks about a half dozen times, haven't called a single one into the dekes. Therefore I've spent considerable time jumping ponds, and missed all shots I've taken. I belly-crawled up to a dozen or so gadwalls today. I made it to within 15 yards, practically on top of them, without them flaring. Still missed every shot.
The only thing I shot all season was a quail that we flushed on our way to the duck pond. On instinct, I swung into the small group of birds and blew one into a cloud of feathers. So THAT'S what 12g/#4 steel shot does at fairly close range!
No rabbits, no squirrels, 1 dove.

I think the wife is sick of hearing about it. She just wants meat in the freezer. The worst is taking my boys, who LOVE to hunt with dad. They may not think it's quite as fun if this keeps up though!
Still, we keep at it because it's what we do. I just don't want my boys to lose interest.

Thanks for letting me vent. Rant over.
Lots of season left. Back to the field soon.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hated hunting fields during bow season.
just for the reason you mentioned. I usually head into the brush.. going to Eufaula before season ends to try and bag a deer 7 days left.

WMA and core land has treated me well this year, so far .. knock on wood

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been there and done that. It sucks! I had a year where I wounded several deer and just could not kill one. It was terribly frustrating. The next year was better. Hope it comes around for you.

two-click

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your not the lone ranger . The worst I've had in Oklahoma . We have a private lease that we have had for several years , always see plenty of deer . This year between the three of us we saw less than 20 deer all three seasons . Our cameras are still coming up empty . Our food plots where the best they have been in two or three years . Corn is still piling up . Hope for better next year .

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Therefore I've spent considerable time jumping ponds, and missed all shots I've taken. I belly-crawled up to a dozen or so gadwalls today. I made it to within 15 yards, practically on top of them, without them flaring. Still missed every shot.

Practice man. Practicing is fun too! Go shoot some skeet with those boys, they will love it. The rush of jumping the dam, choosing one bird, and pulling off a shot can make you forget the basics. Got to lead that bird.

Don't get frustrated man. That's just part of it. Be thankful you have a grocery store to fall back on!

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hear ya. I've had a rough one as well. Season is a week longer and I intend to sit, in the cold, at least twice more to know that I tried my best and the cards just didn't deal my way. I'll then duck hunt for two weeks then look to kick up some rabbits/squirrels until their season ends. All a part of hunting. If you didn't have the bad, you wouldn't appreciate the good so much.

Latest posts

Top Bottom