Wyoming Hunting Trip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadBadJohn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
will do! I would hate the thought of getting into trouble.

Not that so much.

Its been a few years since I was out that way last. But here are the facts as they were about 6 years ago... 1) most of the over the counter tags are for areas where there is a lot of PRIVATE land. 2) Residents get first dibs at over the counter tags. 3) More often than not, over the counter tags are for does.

Your best bet is to find a rancher that allows hunting, find out what area his ranch is in, and then apply for a permit in that area. Expect to pay a trespass fee. I did this for 3-4 years before I drew in an area where there was lots of BLM land. I paid a trespass fee of $100. But that didn't include any guide service, butchering, etc. I would guess that now, trespass fees are up around $400-$500 minimum.

I did get lucky one year and was able to purchase a buck tag over the counter to go along with the one I'd already gotten through the drawing.

Over the counter tags were $25 for non-residents. Not sure what they are now. But probably double.

The BLM land with lots of permits available is heavily hunted as well.

Do your homework first. Contact Wyom Fish and Game and ask for antelope, mule deer permit application and study up.

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not that so much.

Its been a few years since I was out that way last. But here are the facts as they were about 6 years ago... 1) most of the over the counter tags are for areas where there is a lot of PRIVATE land. 2) Residents get first dibs at over the counter tags. 3) More often than not, over the counter tags are for does.

Your best bet is to find a rancher that allows hunting, find out what area his ranch is in, and then apply for a permit in that area. Expect to pay a trespass fee. I did this for 3-4 years before I drew in an area where there was lots of BLM land. I paid a trespass fee of $100. But that didn't include any guide service, butchering, etc. I would guess that now, trespass fees are up around $400-$500 minimum.

I did get lucky one year and was able to purchase a buck tag over the counter to go along with the one I'd already gotten through the drawing.

Over the counter tags were $25 for non-residents. Not sure what they are now. But probably double.

The BLM land with lots of permits available is heavily hunted as well.

Do your homework first. Contact Wyom Fish and Game and ask for antelope, mule deer permit application and study up.

I think I need to talk you into going with me.

67square

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The bigger buck was shot at 160 yards, we jumped him. He measured 12 3/4 inches from base to tip, he is a really nice buck. The cabin in the pic was built in the late 1800's for a gun slinger named "Tom Horn". He stayed there while he killed cattle rustlers for the land owners until the land owners framed him for killing a 14 yr old kid. They hung him in Cheyenne. We had 19,000 acres to hunt on and never got to see all of it. White tail deer, mule deer and antelope all over the place. We were 35 miles northeast of Cheyenne. The last pic is my favorite, it was taken in Nebraska just over the Wyoming line.

How close to saratoga i have family and friends there.If you want to do some real trophy antelope hunting look up norm heater there he is a legend and a damn nice guy.

93 FOX

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get in the draw for an area that has private land and pay the landowner a fee. Not sure if other land owners charge the same but we paided $100. Its easier to get drawn on private land.

BadBadJohn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get in the draw for an area that has private land and pay the landowner a fee. Not sure if other land owners charge the same but we paided $100. Its easier to get drawn on private land.

$100 is VERY reasonable for a trespass fee. Thats what I paid 10 years ago before I went to public land.

Most of the eastern 1/3 of the state from north to south is primarily private land. The middle 1/3 is mixed public/private and the western 1/3 is mostly public. But you have to know the make-up of the hunting area you are applying for. IIRC there is around 100 different hunting areas for antelope and the dates and numbers of tags available vary depending on populations of the animal within that area.

Latest posts

Top Bottom