X-die for 223

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DANNY-L

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just got the x die for 223,I fired some rounds which the brass had been trimmed prior to loading, I measured the case length after fireing and when I sized with the x die it didnt change nothing so I think the case will just keep growing. The way I understood, its purpose is to bring it back close to the length it was trimmed at,which it didnt.

Wall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone use one of these dies in a loadmaster? I'm specifically curious as to if the decapping pin can be seperated. I want to decap and lube in position 1 and then prime and size in position 2 then go about my business... Sure would cut down on loading time for 223 if i don't have to trim (sounds like the xdie reduces/eliminates the amount of trimming needed)

Have you tried the Lee Deluxe Die Set, it has a full length sizing die to eliminate trimming.

Lee Deuxe Die Set @ Midway

From Midway:
The Lee Deluxe Rifle 3-Die set is perfect for the beginning or experienced reloader. The set is made of steel and includes a full length sizing die, collet neck sizing die and bullet seating die. Use the full length sizing die to produce ammunition to factory-new specifications using cases fired in other guns. The collet neck sizing die will allow you to produce ammunition that is fire-formed to the chamber of one rifle. Shellholder, powder measure, storage box and load data included.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just got the x die for 223,I fired some rounds which the brass had been trimmed prior to loading, I measured the case length after fireing and when I sized with the x die it didnt change nothing so I think the case will just keep growing. The way I understood, its purpose is to bring it back close to the length it was trimmed at,which it didnt.

I'm not sure you can test it that way. If you read the instructions, it requires you to set the die by using a full length resized and trimmed casing (0.02 less than max case length). With subsequent resizings, the X-Die claims to keep the casing at or below the max case length.

DANNY-L

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I set it up with a trimmed,sized case. I fired some rounds from the same batch as the one I used for set up,after fireing they were 2-3 thos. longer. Then when I sized with the x die they remained the same 2-3 thos.longer. It seems like it would have brought them back close to what I had trimmed them at.

DANNY-L

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I measured before resizing which were 2-3 tho. longer thanwhen I trimmed then loaded and fired ,then when I resized with the x die they remained the same 2-3 tho. over my original trim length. Is this what they ment by not growing any further by using the x die. Because if I would have used the standard sizer die they would have stretched a little further than the 2-3 thos. wouldnt they.

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I messaged a guy on here who has a set. Hopefully he can add some information to this thread for you. I have never used them so I cannot help.

Latest posts

Top Bottom