Y'all looking for an old Ford truck...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Everyone says not to but I'm going to turn my 90 Ford carb and mechanical everything.
Buddy had a 91 ford that was always giving him issues with the engine management system.
I went to Horton Motors and asked if they had a 2 barrel intake for a 302 and they told me there is one on a truck outside we are about to haul to the scrap dealer.
He told me I can have it for free.

I had carbs and we carbed it and never any issues.
I de-computerized many 80's and early 90's vehicles and all of them got better MPG and more power with a quick curved distributor and a tuned carb.

One guy did not like it and had me change it back.
I asked him what the issue was .
He said he did not trust the carburetor.

He fought and fought that 307 fuel injected Oldsmobile to keep it on the road with failing parts.

Idiots are out there.
Now do not get me wrong some of those FI deals were very reliable.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buddy had a 91 ford that was always giving him issues with the engine management system.
I went to Horton Motors and asked if they had a 2 barrel intake for a 302 and they told me there is one on a truck outside we are about to haul to the scrap dealer.
He told me I can have it for free.

I had carbs and we carbed it and never any issues.
I de-computerized many 80's and early 90's vehicles and all of them got better MPG and more power with a quick curved distributor and a tuned carb.

One guy did not like it and had me change it back.
I asked him what the issue was .
He said he did not trust the carburetor.

He fought and fought that 307 fuel injected Oldsmobile to keep it on the road with failing parts.

Idiots are out there.
Now do not get me wrong some of those FI deals were very reliable.
Is there a certain brand of carb you would recommend for the Ford 300 I6? Probably get one of those nice looking offenhouser intakes. Want to get rid of everything except what it takes to run the engine. Put in a mechanical fuel pump as well.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Is there a certain brand of carb you would recommend for the Ford 300 I6? Probably get one of those nice looking offenhouser intakes. Want to get rid of everything except what it takes to run the engine. Put in a mechanical fuel pump as well.
Get a reman single barrel from Summit Racing or JEGS.................OR you could try a Holley Sniper EFI which isn't true EFI but a TBI. Lot's of folks run those and are super happy with them on 170, 200, and 300 6cyl.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting thread. We rob complete 5.0l(302) EFI systems from Mustangs, Mountaineers and Explorers to put on carbed 302's so that they are more dependable for high altitude and rock crawling lol. Ford EFI is super dependable, and should a part be needed, they can be found anywhere.
Yes that is a good point. I don't have a good reason other than I just want to have a truck that is as stripped down and simple as possible. Just for fun I guess.

Latest posts

Top Bottom