Y'all looking for an old Ford truck...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is there a certain brand of carb you would recommend for the Ford 300 I6
The 4 barrel version I would use an Edelbrock performer series 1405 or 1406 or a motorcraft 2 barrel if you have one of those laying around.

I tested over 6 different carbs on a 302 ford that was a little hotter than stock.
My daily driver in a 6000 lb van.
from the 390 economaster to the 750 Qjet Holley and AFB/edelbrock.

Only 1/2 MPG difference between any of them.
I got the same performance from all but the small 390.
I ended up keeping a motorcraft 2 barrel on it.

My 57 chevy and my Nova and the 47 dodge truck all have Edelbrock performer series carbs on them.
Super reliable and so easy to tune.
I love a Quadrajet but they really work best on a spreadbore intake.

Now if you are good at tuning a Holley then use one of those.
I can tune them very well but I just never cared much for them vs the AFB style.

I have over 60 carburetors of many kinds at my disposal and always reach for the ASFB style when I can.
I ran them on my 240Z 260z and 280ZX engines also.

DO not get the little 500 cfm ones go 600.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting thread. We rob complete 5.0l(302) EFI systems from Mustangs, Mountaineers and Explorers to put on carbed 302's so that they are more dependable for high altitude and rock crawling lol. Ford EFI is super dependable, and should a part be needed, they can be found anywhere.

The 302 engines I had issues with had the tall intake.
1723485142308.png

So much carbon builds up under that manifold that you can't see the pushrods in the lifter valley.
I suppose that could be a tightwad using cheap oil and not keeping it changed.

Cousin had many of those tall ones break but he lived on rough roads and was off road all the time.
Went to a chevy 350 with a Quadrajet and no more issues for him.

Probably not the EFI you are using

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get a reman single barrel from Summit Racing or JEGS.................OR you could try a Holley Sniper EFI which isn't true EFI but a TBI. Lot's of folks run those and are super happy with them on 170, 200, and 300 6cyl.
Derek from Vice Grip Garage just put a Holley Sniper on the 300 in the ‘78 F-100 he rebuilt earlier this year. The whole thing is on his YouTube channel.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
The 302 engines I had issues with had the tall intake.
View attachment 501712
So much carbon builds up under that manifold that you can't see the pushrods in the lifter valley.
I suppose that could be a tightwad using cheap oil and not keeping it changed.

Cousin had many of those tall ones break but he lived on rough roads and was off road all the time.
Went to a chevy 350 with a Quadrajet and no more issues for him.

Probably not the EFI you are using
Correct we don't use the ones off of the trucks because they won't fit under a stock hood.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
The 4 barrel version I would use an Edelbrock performer series 1405 or 1406 or a motorcraft 2 barrel if you have one of those laying around.

I tested over 6 different carbs on a 302 ford that was a little hotter than stock.
My daily driver in a 6000 lb van.
from the 390 economaster to the 750 Qjet Holley and AFB/edelbrock.

Only 1/2 MPG difference between any of them.
I got the same performance from all but the small 390.
I ended up keeping a motorcraft 2 barrel on it.

My 57 chevy and my Nova and the 47 dodge truck all have Edelbrock performer series carbs on them.
Super reliable and so easy to tune.
I love a Quadrajet but they really work best on a spreadbore intake.

Now if you are good at tuning a Holley then use one of those.
I can tune them very well but I just never cared much for them vs the AFB style.

I have over 60 carburetors of many kinds at my disposal and always reach for the ASFB style when I can.
I ran them on my 240Z 260z and 280ZX engines also.

DO not get the little 500 cfm ones go 600.
Quadrajet is what I've got on my 71' bronco 302, I won't run any other carb. Been awesome and trouble free for about 13y now and about as close to EFI as it gets when it comes to off camber and straight up/straight down driving on the rocks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom