YMCA membership

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are any of you guys members of the Y? My wife and I are thinking of taking out a family membership (it turns out that a 30 minute workout on base takes about 1.5 hours due to gym crowding) and we'd appreciate any info as to whether or not it's worth it. We like the family focus idea as well as being part of a community oriented organization.

soonersfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We've been members for a long time and unfortunately I don't use it nearly enough. I like the fact that you can join one Y and go to any of them. If you have kids, the child care is pretty good. Also, if your kids participate in any of the sports programs, usually you get a reduced rate for being a member. I think for families it is definitely the way to go.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unfortunately, due to the management structure of the YMCA, every single one is different. If you have a good director, you've got a good Y, if not, you have a crappy one.

And not all YMCAs allow you to partake of their facilities with the membership of another YMCA - I thought that same thing, but its only true of certain specific facilities (at least that used to be the case for our local YMCA - I don't know if something has changed in the last two years).

Go check it out and ask some of the current members of the particular YMCA you're thinking of joining - what they think of it.

TripleD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Years ago I belonged to the Y in Norman. At that time the weight room was tiny and very crowded any time I went. Crowded as in 2-3 people waiting on all equipment. I would check out the Y you are considering at the time you would be going, on multiple days, to be sure it will work for you.

soonersfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am a member of the Y in Norman. When I go it is in the evening and the weight room isn't too bad. I use my membership at the Edmond Y, South OKC Y, etc., etc. Nobody has ever had an issue with me visiting a different Y. I even used my membership at a Y in Florida but they only let me use it for 3 days. It is good advice to go take a tour, etc. but we've been satisfied members for almost 5 years now.

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am a memeber at the y in Norman. My wife and I were taking the trecking class to help me with our new AF pt test. I have been slacking lately due to teh holiday....a guy needs a break. He teaches it like a 5k prep class and it has really helped trim my time. he is a very cool guy and very helpful. I like the classes and that they have child care.

Go down there and tell them you would like to look around a bit

benjamin-benjamin

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
the biggest problem with the Y is overcrowding, there are always more people there than they have space for..... you might consider looking around just a little more before you go with them.... they still might be the best option, but just look around....

MuTau007

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The y's in Okc are all under one association, 1 membership for all, the Norman y and Okc area y's have a reciprocating agreement. Outside of Okc metro there is a national away program that allows for up to 2 weeks of use. Almos all the Okc y's have gone through renovations in the last few years. New y's are being built in Edmond and over at 122nd & Rockwell.

For a family no othe "gym" will be a better deal, kids get sports for free and swim lessons discounted to $10/mo. The y has a scholarship program for anyone who can't afford programs.

DaveTec

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been a member for over 20 years. Of the YMCA's I use, (bethany, north OKC, and Downtown) my membership is seamless between them.

The Y is the best for the following reasons:
Olympic size swimming pools
Actual steam rooms. (and also dry sauna's)
Jaccuzzi's (bethany doesn't have one, but the other two do)
Downtown YMCA has the computerized log in, which can track your progress and send you email notices..... a really cool feature.

Highly recommend!

Latest posts

Top Bottom