You boys that simp for Government Run Healthcare..... get on in here....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No. I'm saying exactly what I said. Not all veterans are eligible for VA health care. If it were the same as single-payer or "socialized" health care all vets would get it.
That sounds like exactly 0 US Gov’t programs. You’re talking about the ideal socialized medicine program; I’m talking about the absolute charlie foxtrot that the USG has proven, time and again, that it will deliver.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That sounds like exactly 0 US Gov’t programs. You’re talking about the ideal socialized medicine program; I’m talking about the absolute charlie foxtrot that the USG has proven, time and again, that it will deliver.

I never said single-payer or socialized medicine run by the .gov wouldn't be a fuster cluck. Of course it would be. I'm simply making the point that not all vets are eligible for VA health care. A truly socialized, single-payer system would cover everyone. Thus, in that regard, VA health care and a socialized medicine are not the same. Spin it how you like, that doesn't change that basic difference.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well...it really doesn't count. Not all veterans can get health care thru the VA. It depends on your type of discharge, your household income, and a few other factors. There are 8 "Priority Groups" that determine the level of care you're eligible to receive, with Priority 1 being the highest level. Depending on what Priority Group the VA assigns you to will determine what benefits you're eligible to receive, if any. You might also have to agree to make co-pays for your care.

When I last looked into VA care, it was explained that I was eligible for some VA benefits, such as GI Bill and Zero-down home loans. But for VA health care, I was not eligible because the wife and I made too much money. They told me that if I had a service connected disability rating or had served in Vietnam then I was definitely eligible. Vietnam service was an automatic because someone serving there could have been exposed to Agent Orange.

That all said, the wife and I are both on Medicare and a supplement. That arrangement allows us to get health care regardless of what state we happen to be in, which helps up immensely with out tendency to travel and work in other states.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never said single-payer or socialized medicine run by the .gov wouldn't be a fuster cluck. Of course it would be. I'm simply making the point that not all vets are eligible for VA health care. A truly socialized, single-payer system would cover everyone. Thus, in that regard, VA health care and a socialized medicine are not the same. Spin it how you like, that doesn't change that basic difference.
I'm not saying that the VA is socialized medicine, just that that's exactly how I see socialized medicine going--if you're this or that, you qualify, but of you're the other, well, it sucks to be you.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I usually don’t have any comments when I remind folks about the VA and the Indian Health System, I’ve had both and still pay out of pocket before resorting to either.

The VA has come a long way, the tribes hospitals and healthcare needs some series attention.
How does the Indian Health Care System work? Can't only those with Native lineage get care in that system? If so, who needs to give it some serious attention?

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's the most cost effective healthcare insurance plan for Oklahomans this year? I have Medicare A & B and also kept my Federal Blue Cross Blue Shield. The premium on it is $308 monthly. Had over $180k in medical for 2 knee surgeries in 2022 and didn't have a cent out of pocket.
You’re welcome

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's gonna suck to be all of us if we ever go that route.
Ain't that the dyin' truth.

IMG_0910.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom