You boys that simp for Government Run Healthcare..... get on in here....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t see how anyone in their right mind could advocate for socialized medicine run by the government. Our FICA portion would go up on our paychecks. Wage increases would slow or pause because employers having to pay their 50% of FICA taxes. Look at social security. People working 40 years to get their shekels. Government mandates what they pay paycheck in taxes and then government decides how much they get per check in retirement. Oh and keep increasing the age and the varying amounts they can draw at different ages. It’s pathetic. The socialized medicine topic opens Pandora’s box for conversation about taxes and government in general. Income tax, property tax, fica, it’s all theft. I told my kids not to let cute words like “deposit”, “fee”, etc fool you. Any money you give the government is a tax and we are taxed far more than we get in returned services. Government sucks at everything it does

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How does the Indian Health Care System work? Can't only those with Native lineage get care in that system? If so, who needs to give it some serious attention?
Yes, belonging to one of tribes is a requirement for care. I would think the Public Health Service —Surgeon General personnel.

Granted I left Oklahoma in 1986 for the Navy and never used them again, my father retired from the Navy and we didn’t have health insurance once he retired, or we just didn’t go to the hospital, lol.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.foxnews.com/world/uk-in...l-battle-british-government-treatment-options

It doesn't matter who's right or wrong in the diagnosis. The government shouldn't be allowed to make decisions like this over the wishes of the parents and/or family. The British Government has done this multiple times. Not sure why they just didn't let the Italians take him.
Red herring about one incident.
Private doctors in American hospitals make the live or die determination all the time dependent on their judgement. No? No need to answer. I have been associated with some Dr’s for a long time.
When it comes to VA healthcare, if I had Wichita, Walter Reed or the former in Muskogee as a primary care, I’d run.
The OKC facility is top notch. Tied into the OU medical college. The residents do their time in the #1 trauma center in Oklahoma, with a couple days each week at the VA.
They are young and eager to apply their new skills to completing their dream of being a medical doctor.
They are supervised of course as are resident doctors at every facility.
My wife who is an internet doctor in her dreams 😷 is constantly amazed at the level of care with back end phone calls and support I’m given wishing her private healthcare would come even close.
Nope, not in favor of socialized medical care nor Obamacare that cost us $1100 a month until wife reached Medicare age.
Keep your doctor, keep your plan, and save $1200 a year. :laugh6: :laugh6: :laugh6: :laugh6:
The Republicans in congress have done zero to help the American healthcare system. Nada. nothing on their current agenda either.
Let’s put the issue where the blame belongs

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
No. I'm saying exactly what I said. Not all veterans are eligible for VA health care. If it were the same as single-payer or "socialized" health care all vets would get it.
There are many definitions of veteran. That is the problem. I was an army officer but never went overseas, never fought in a war or battle and never went active duty except for ROTC training and advanced training. In some definitions, I am a veteran. In the VA system, they don't recognize my service.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"why don't you use the VA, you have it?" Usually gets a quick "that doesn't count..."

Because in many ( not most certainly) the care is non-existent,,,
They band-aided my father for years over an injury.

The VA is so underfunded and under staffed,,,
It's a wonder how they take care of combat veteran injuries,,,
Much less how they treat (or don't treat) their senior citizen veterans.

They might as well be Canadian.

I don't want socialized medicine,,,
I just want Medics to stop charging an arm and a leg for a friggin' band-aid.

Aarond

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Red herring about one incident.

While you might want to look up what a Red Herring means..... this isn't the only incident.

https://abcnews.go.com/Internationa...ritish-boy-off-life-support/story?id=54798805
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Gard_case
I mean, we could really go down a rabbit hole and talk about UK's rationing of care during Covid. That would be a fun thread.

Private doctors in American hospitals make the live or die determination all the time dependent on their judgement. No? No need to answer. I have been associated with some Dr’s for a long time.

"I've been associated with some Dr's for a long time" Well chit Dennis, let's shut down the thead LOL. I'm sure you're the only one that knows some doctors around here.

Either way, it's still apples to oranges. In considerations of withdrawing life sustaining care, U.S doctors. have to go through a ton of protocols and considerations that can involve the family. Under protest, it's a whole new ball game and a ton of variables. However..... none of this involves the federal government.

When it comes to VA healthcare, if I had Wichita, Walter Reed or the former in Muskogee as a primary care, I’d run.
The OKC facility is top notch. Tied into the OU medical college.

Ok. So you have one top notch facility with two others that are garbage?

The residents do their time in the #1 trauma center in Oklahoma, with a couple days each week at the VA.
They are young and eager to apply their new skills to completing their dream of being a medical doctor.
They are supervised of course as are resident doctors at every facility.

That's awesome and a great setup. However, OU Health is a corporation. A "non-profit" one, like many others in Oklahoma. Either way, the VA is benefiting from the assistance of private medicine.

Nope, not in favor of socialized medical care nor Obamacare that cost us $1100 a month until wife reached Medicare age.
Keep your doctor, keep your plan, and save $1200 a year. :laugh6: :laugh6: :laugh6: :laugh6:

I'm glad you brought this up. Private medicine got significantly worse with the passing of the ACA right? So basically, when we added more government control into a private system, costs skyrocketed and the system went further down the tubes.

The Republicans in congress have done zero to help the American healthcare system. Nada. nothing on their current agenda either.

Correct.

Let’s put the issue where the blame belongs

Well there's a lot of blame to go around.... and that includes the American Public..... but at the end of the day.... the US.gov should not have a say in our healthcare.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My major argument against government-run healthcare is, if they cannot run the government, or even run the VA, they have no business running healthcare, PERIOD!
The thing the government is best at is setting itself up for failure. The amount of completely unnecessary red tape and horrible way agencies are discouraged from saving money is pathetic.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I usually don’t have any comments when I remind folks about the VA and the Indian Health System, I’ve had both and still pay out of pocket before resorting to either.

The VA has come a long way, the tribes hospitals and healthcare needs some series attention.

While there are definitely still issues, the IHS has improved quite a bit over the years. The thing many folks don't see is that there are three types of IHS facilities. Federal, tribal and urban. All three are ran by different groups and get money via different line items.

Latest posts

Top Bottom