You boys that simp for Government Run Healthcare..... get on in here....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't had a lot of experience in the VA system outside of OKC VAMC. I've only been in the system for about 5 years. But from what I have seen, and from what I have experienced, I'll take the VA health care over private insurance/care any day. I'm thoroughly disgusted with what my wife has to go thru to see a doctor. She has BCBS thru a federal retirement program and Medicare. Her wait for care is almost always longer than mine.

She had cataract surgery earlier this year. We had to be at the surgery center at 0630. They prepped her and left her laying in a bed until nearly noon until I got fed up and told the nurse to unhook her because I'd had enough. I let them know I thought this was completely unacceptable. The reason was (allegedly) her doctor was new in this clinic and a more senior doctor had rearranged his surgeries so he could finish early. They took her back to surgery about 5 mins after I had my little fit in the OR. I've also sat with her in her primary care doctor's office for almost 2 hours past her appt time waiting to be seen.

When I go to the VA clinic in Ada or to the OKC VAMC I almost never have to wait past my appt time. I can only recall waiting past my time once, as a matter of fact. That was at my last visit and it was about 20 mins...because the doc had some sort of emergency. But when I did get in the doctor I saw did WAY more than what I was expecting at that appt.

I'm no medical expert but I do know our medical system in this country is a mess. Not really the care...the care and treatment, as a whole, is probably the best in the world. But it's the cost and bureaucracy, thanks to the .gov sticking it's nose where it doesn't belong, that have f***ed it up so bad.

F***ing things up is pretty much par for the course when the .gov gets involved with anything.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well...it really doesn't count. Not all veterans can get health care thru the VA. It depends on your type of discharge, your household income, and a few other factors. There are 8 "Priority Groups" that determine the level of care you're eligible to receive, with Priority 1 being the highest level. Depending on what Priority Group the VA assigns you to will determine what benefits you're eligible to receive, if any. You might also have to agree to make co-pays for your care.

Sounds like it counts, to me.

Goobermint is telling you what your priority is, what level of care you deserve.

The same as what happened to the baby in UK.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My major argument against government-run healthcare is, if they cannot run the government, or even run the VA, they have no business running healthcare, PERIOD!
I agree! If the government cannot manage their own financial situations ,how can they tell us how we are to manage anything? They are like finance counsellors that are deeply in debt attempting to counsel us on how to manage our money.

Last edited:

Two Gun Warrior

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's the most cost effective healthcare insurance plan for Oklahomans this year? I have Medicare A & B and also kept my Federal Blue Cross Blue Shield. The premium on it is $308 monthly. Had over $180k in medical for 2 knee surgeries in 2022 and didn't have a cent out of pocket.
I have medicare A & B and use Humana, It does not cost me anything and they add $100 back to my SS check. The deductables are very small if any. I do not use it a lot because I have the VA for everything, but it is sloooow sometimes.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No. I'm saying exactly what I said. Not all veterans are eligible for VA health care. If it were the same as single-payer or "socialized" health care all vets would get it.
Well actually, all Honorably discharged veterans are eligible for VA Health Care but whether you have to pay for the care you receive or not depends on things like your 'Priority Group' and/or income level.
https://www.va.gov/health-care/eligibility/

Last edited:

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah... Well, actually, that's why I said not "all" veterans are eligible. Because some aren't. I also explained the priority groups and the possibility of co-pays. And if your combined household income is over a certain level, you may be eligible but you're not gonna get care from the VA.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well actually, all Honorably discharged veterans are eligible for VA Health Care but whether you have to pay for the care you receive or not depends on things like your 'Priority Group' and/or income level.
https://www.va.gov/health-care/eligibility/
Not “are eligible”, “may be eligible”. From your own link:

You may be eligible for VA health care benefits if you served in the active military, naval, or air service and didn’t receive a dishonorable discharge.
I point this out because I have a VA letter that specifically states I’m not eligible for VA healthcare enrollment, despite being a honorably discharged 5 point combat veteran (Priority Group 8, subcategory e).

Latest posts

Top Bottom