You just shot a biggun!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And now you have an animal down in the field, and want to have a wall mount.

How do you prepare it?

In my area, the one I've taken to mount have been caped by the processor.
In the field after shooting one, I do not cut above the sternum. If you do, the mount is ruined unless wanting to pay for a new cape.

Field dress from the rear to the ribcage and dig out the lungs and heart.
If the processor will cape it, let them do it. they will cape it with the front legs and chest intact.
If you have room and don't have a taxidermist nearby, freeze the head and cape. Make sure its dry. Water on the cape and not frozen will cause the hair to fall out later.
Take it to the taxidermist, and its theirs from then on.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I insist that splitting the sternum is not that big a deal.
My step-brother needlessly cut the throat of the first big buck I shot. The taxidermist made that wound invisible.
That was his job. Like I said in the other thread, I don't split the sternum on a mature deer myself (mostly because it's too hard), but if you skin from stern to stem you give a good taxidermist plenty to work with.

tuskbuster

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
my tax learned me many years ago bout how they prefer em at a pretty good price.if you cant skin in the fashion dennis mentioned make a strait a cut as possiblealong the back of the neck to a few inches from the point of the head.they can hide a lot more on top than they can underneaath.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tend to do this as habit. Did it tonight even though I was just going to do a skull cap. My only problem is on smaller deer, my arms are too big and I end up having to get all Freddy Kruger on their windpipe (one handed slashes)... really butcher up the inside of the chest cavity but I guess its all good since there isnt much to screw up in there that hasnt been pulverised by a bullet.

Red Earth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great advice!!!!!!

We don't gut our deer in the field. We are lucky enough to have a family member who has quite the butchering set up only a mile from our house and hunting area.

The deer are hung from the back legs and skinned. The same way if we are mounting or not. Strip it right off like a sweater!

This way our taxidermist has plenty to work with. Most good ones can fix a slip up or two.... so don't worry to much about an oops.

PJ

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I insist that splitting the sternum is not that big a deal.
My step-brother needlessly cut the throat of the first big buck I shot. The taxidermist made that wound invisible.
That was his job. Like I said in the other thread, I don't split the sternum on a mature deer myself (mostly because it's too hard), but if you skin from stern to stem you give a good taxidermist plenty to work with.

Yep a taxidermist can fix almost anything, but it takes time, and you know what they say about time. $$$$$

I have a couple of good buddies that are taxidermist, they aren't happy when something comes in skinned unproperly and they usually charge accordingly for it.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep a taxidermist can fix almost anything, but it takes time, and you know what they say about time. $$$$$

I have a couple of good buddies that are taxidermist, they aren't happy when something comes in skinned unproperly and they usually charge accordingly for it.

My taxidermist just tacks on about fifty bucks if the cape is messed up.

I know this by the "idiot list" he posts in his shop. He isn't the greatest PR guy, but has more business than he can handle in a timely manner, and doesn't care who he embarrasses.

Latest posts

Top Bottom