You just shot a biggun!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IIRC when we did mine we split the hide to the bottom of the sternum. Then we pulled the skin off like rolling up a condom (sorry but that's the best way I know to describe it) We cut off the front legs at the elbow and sliced the hide down the back and peeled them off with the rest of the cape. Got most of it rolled up and cut the neck in two. Then we froze the cape and took it to the taxidermist. Not sure if that is the best way, but my mount looks fantastic. It brings back floods of memories every time I look at it.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IIRC when we did mine we split the hide to the bottom of the sternum. Then we pulled the skin off like rolling up a condom (sorry but that's the best way I know to describe it) We cut off the front legs at the elbow and sliced the hide down the back and peeled them off with the rest of the cape. Got most of it rolled up and cut the neck in two. Then we froze the cape and took it to the taxidermist. Not sure if that is the best way, but my mount looks fantastic. It brings back floods of memories every time I look at it.

That was the way my taxidermist showed me to do it. It helps if you cut from the inside out when cutting down the back of the legs or making any cuts from the shoulders up. This ensures a clean cut and leaves the hair in place so it can be fixed easily if needed.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

That was the way my taxidermist showed me to do it.

:saywhat:

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not mounting my deer but i tied him up to a tree limb by his head and slit down his throat to sternum with a razorblade then started cutting the skin back from the cut and then go around the neck and start peeling it down that way. Me and my gf had him skinned and ready to gut in probably 30 mins this way. You'd be surprised how well a razor knife works. I've only cleaned 2 deer in my life and only witnessed a couple more than that but i had him skinned gutted and butchered in a couple hours.

Latest posts

Top Bottom