Your best, pure luck, or pure skill, snap shot ever.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took a kid out to my land the other day to help him sight in a new muzzleloader. While there a friend drove up with a new Ruger SR-22. Anyway, I had a 1/2 gallon milk jug full of water set up at 50 yards. I loaded my 1911 and handed it to the friend. "Try this at that milk jug." He fired 5 and hit low all five times. I put five more in and gave it to the kid. He hit the jug with a ricochet, but didn't knock it over. I took the gun, and snapped a quick one handed shot, hit the bottom of the jug, made it jump about 5 feet up. Pure luck, no bragging.

Several years ago a bunch of us went out into the hayfields at night with .22s to shoot armadillos from the back of a pickup. I'd shot all the shells I brought for my rifle, don't know if I ever hit one or not. When the armadillo disappears in a cloud of dust, you can't much tell who hit and who didn't. Anyway, I had my Colt Woodsman on my hip, loaded with CCI Stingers. We came up on another armadillo, I did a fast draw and popped off a shot before anyone could get their rifles up. That armadillo just dropped, DRT. Again, pure luck, as I never hit another one that night.

A friend dropped a flying duck with one shot from a .22 revolver. Trouble is, he was aiming at the first duck and it was the third one that fell. He didn't tell me that for a long time.

I'm bettin' there will be some good stories on this thread.

bigchuck83

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i agree there are probably a lot of stories on here.
My best luck shot was one morning out duck hunting with my dad, he always used a pump action 12gauge and i only used a single shot .20ga. we had a bolt action .20ga. that held 3 shells but honestly it was too dang heavy to want to carry all day.(still have the gun but someone lost the bolt and magazine) Anyhow out hunting one morning a few ducks flew right towards us and as i raised the single shot to my shoulder and took aim all i heard was him saying them birds are too high up.
Boom, duck fell right at our feet, all i could do was say "Too High huh?"

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A friend and I were at the SCRAP Club in Duncan. We were by ourselves.
Sighting in his AR, shooting my new AK.
They have a pistol range , 100yard, 200, 300 setup.
We were at the 100 sighting in th ar, deciced to walk out to look at the 200 to see if there was anything to shoot at, out of targets!
There was about a 9" cooking pan someone set up to shoot at, multipe hits on it.
I was carrying a 4" Springer LWC Operator, about 3/4 of the way back we were talking , he ask ..can you hit that pan from here with that .45...150yards?
Hah , I said ...sure. Pulled out the Springer, leveled it up...Boom....Clinck!
I'll be kiss my axx he said ...can you do it again......Hah (shakin like a dog passin a peach pit)...Well sure..leveled the .45....Boom...Clinck.
I put the Springer up and we finished out our practice with the ar, ak.
Several weeks later I was there with my son...hit that pan 1 out 10 trys, son didnt believe the story.
At least I have one witness....LOL
edit: I think the pan had so many holes in it that I was shootin through it...Thats MY story... ;)

YakBasser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was a Kid, Dad and I were coming back from Squirrel Huntin. We both had Scoped .22's. There were some Feed Lots below the house that we had to walk through and a Medowlark landed on top of corner-post at what had to be 100yds+. We cud Barely tell what he was, xcept for that song they sing. Dad says "betcha cant hit that Medowlark", so I sighted WAY over his head thru the scope, pulled the trigger, and down He went. Neither of Us cud believe it and I had a long walk to go get'im (-:

furlong222

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
when my boys were in thier first duck season we were in the blind-cold, sleety day, and we had a single mallard come over both my kids emtyed thier guns and not a feather,,,the duck was almost over the tree line and I popped one from the hip,,,he dropped on the bank....I calmly turned to the kids and said "if you wait long enough---drop em on the bank and you dont have to wade out and retrieve em....luckiest shot ever....

jduff8505

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As a kid 15-16 I was on a Boy Scout hunting trip. We were walking across a field when someone said "Rabbit". I turned and brought my .22 Savage up and knew the rabbit would eventually hesitate, and when he did I was right on him and nailed him. It was a good lead and being able to stay on him when he stopped, I did as I was taught. I don't know if it was skill or discipline.

Jeff

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Best quick shot I ever pulled off was when I was dating this girl and took her to Banner range. Her dad had passed away and left her a nice little .22 auto pistol. (Spanish make of some kind, I don't remember the name) We're at one of the middle distances and I'm taking my time to bullseye the target and this fly keeps buzzing around the target. She says, "I bet you can't hit that fly." I stand full upright, look at her, look back at the target, raise the pistol one hand and splattered it on the paper. My only regret is that I took the shot without actually betting anything on it.

YakBasser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Best quick shot I ever pulled off was when I was dating this girl and took her to Banner range. Her dad had passed away and left her a nice little .22 auto pistol. (Spanish make of some kind, I don't remember the name) We're at one of the middle distances and I'm taking my time to bullseye the target and this fly keeps buzzing around the target. She says, "I bet you can't hit that fly." I stand full upright, look at her, look back at the target, raise the pistol one hand and splattered it on the paper. My only regret is that I took the shot without actually betting anything on it.

Sweet!!!

dowmace

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Armadillo at about 50 yards with my 710. As the gamers would say I no scoped him when I saw him jump up coming towards my mouse distress. He suddenly exploded into a mess of what used to be an armadillo

backspur

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was duck hunting with a friend one morning. We had just commented we needed to start taking some longer shots if we wanted to get more birds. Not long after, a lone mallard drake flew over on the other side of the slough right above the tree line. My buddy and I looked at each other. That fat greenhead was pretty far out there. My friend shrugged and lowered his shotgun. I was feeling good, so I led that ol' bird out and squeezed the trigger. That drake dropped like he was yanked out of the sky on a string. It was a beautiful thing. I paced it there and back and it was an honest 65 yards. Not bad for an old Mossberg 835 with a modified choke shooting cheap Winchester #4 steel shot. The shot itself is probably not that impressive, but the whole experience is one I will remember forever.

More recently, I took my new Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle out to put a rough zero on the iron sights. I fired three rounds touching at 25 yards. I made adjustments, fired three more rounds touching at point of aim. I ran out of time and left it at that. Later that day, I wound up at the 300m range shooting some other rifles with a friend. I pulled out the Ruger GSR. The first round was a dead center hit on the steel silhoutte at 300m. That was a sweet sound. I didn't manage to get all my rounds on target that day, but that first one made it all worth it. Man, I do love that gun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom