Your best, pure luck, or pure skill, snap shot ever.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azokie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Once a group of us went shooting north of Phoenix Az, several were shooting at a can sitting on the far bank of a stock tank (pond) about 40 yds away with various .22 rifles with not much success. i jokingly said i could do better with the taurus .38 snubby i had on my hip. someone told me to put up or shut up so, i drew, aimed and fired knowing i had a snowballs chance in hell of even getting close. To my and everyones surprise, the can flew up into the air about 10 feet, flipping several times before coming to rest back on its end not too far from where it had originally sat.I calmly looked over at the others, and said "thats how its done!".I then holstered the gun and never fired another shot with it that day. lol

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In the very early 60's, I bought a Colt Frontier Scout .22 WMR. First time out with it, actually the first shot I took with it, I threw down on a Swamp Rabbit at about 20 yds. He dropped like a rock. Went over to check him out and there was nothing left from the front of his shoulders up. Blew his head clean off.

Since I planned to use this revolver for squirrels and rabbits, I decided WMR's might not be my cup of tea. I was a good shot, but I didn't always make the head shot. Traded it for a Ruger Bearcat the same day.

Wish I had them both today.

870WingBlaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad and I were out shooting one day, and we decided to prop up some clay pigeons. I had some set up close to the house to shoot at with pistols and some set out at 55 yards to shoot at with .22 rifles. I told my dad that I was going to shoot the 55 yard targets with my Buckmark pistol. He said "yeah right" and I went about shooting three straight. Later, I was telling my brother in laws about it, and they told me that I was full of it. I must have missed fifty times before admitting that the other must have been a fluke.

ahamay6

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One morning duck hunting, came in the blind with geese already on the water. At shooting light, my Grandpa shot over them to try and get them up. When they flew we both emptied our guns, 5 more shots and not a feather. It was then we realized, there were 4 geese on the water.

walker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last year I pulled into my deer lease and saw a yote chewing on a carcass across the wheat field. I pulled out my Ruger Mrk2 slab side and popped a roud off at him. It fell short and he took off. He was at a dead run, quartering away from me. I lead him about 4 feet and another 6 feet high. Squeezed off and rolled him. He did get back up and crawl through the ence though. Walked it off at about 147 yards.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shot a buck off hand in a tree with my black powder at 140 yards with a 25 mph wind. Dropped him like a sack of potatoes. When I looked again after reloading, my rear sight was missing. Lucky as all get out, but I still tell it to anyone that hunts with me!!!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Totally not a shot I would endorse, but my dad came out to pick me up from a dove hunt at my Uncles.
The dove were flying quick over the field, and nobody was getting any luck.
Dad Took the 1890 Winchester .22 rifle out of the back of the pickup, and shot the first flying dove that came by.
Dropped it out of the sky with one shot.
He put the rifle back in the truck, and accepted the acolades from the other guys.
On the way home, he told me, it was a once in a million shot. He was actually not a very good shot but got one heck of a reputation from that one occasion.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What a great thread!

I have made several memorable shots during my life. I was sandhill crane hunting with a buddy near Tipton, set up against a fence at the edge of a 160 acre cotton field. We were limited when a flock of mallards flew down the fence on the other side of the field. I told the buddy that I'd kill one if he'd go get it. He of course agreed, and I loosed 32 #4 buck at the ducks, 'way above and 'way in front of them. To our shock, one fell. He never said a word, went and got it, and it was right by the fence, 440 yards away. one shot in an eye, and it was only deep enough to replace the eyeball. I don't remember him ever mentioning it again . . . CB

Latest posts

Top Bottom