Your Biggest "MISS"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was talking with a Buddy today about our biggest "misses", you know, deals that we just missed out on because we were too slow, someone just beat us to it or we didn't know what we had...

My example: I ran across a guy needing money that knew I collected cars and he offered me a 1962 Corvette with the hardtop, all red with a 4 speed for $17,500.

Now this was in 2002, and I thought it was too good to be true, but I went and checked it out and told him to let me think about it for the rest of the day and that I would get back to him that evening. I called 2 hours later to tell him I was bringing a check...he didn't answer because someone else was there at that exact moment making an offer of $15,000 and got it.

That car was worth $25,000! Now that is a MISS!

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My aunt in CA bought a Pontiac Firebird in the late 70's new from the dealership floor. She decided to get rid of it in 1998, it had about 80,000 original miles on it, and would let me buy it for $4000 bucks. Can't swear to it but I think it had a 400in motor, always garaged, white, grocery getter, beautiful car.

I had just started my first real job out of college and was in debt with school loans and just trying to survive on a noob paycheck. I couldn't swing the deal and she sold it.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought your biggest "Misses".... of course, she was only about 135. :)

Last year I found a Ranger on Craigslist that was listed "not running, $100". I figured it would be a basketcase, so I called the father in law and told him.

Turns out, he gave him the money, signed over the title... FIL went out and it started right up. He drove it home. Turns out, the owner forgot you had to push the clutch in to start it.

BTW: it was a decent 1996 extended cab. It did have a bit of front end damage, but nothing serious... and I had all the parts to fix it. After that, we painted it, and sold it for $3200 a month later.

Sigh.

Latest posts

Top Bottom