Your Cell Phone Searched During A Routine Traffice Stop, Without A Search Warrant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Michigan ACLU Questions Troopers' Use of Cellphone Data Extractors

awww.policemag.com__Images_news_M_Cellebrite_UFEDstandard_web.jpg

The American Civil Liberties Union of Michigan wants more information about how Michigan State Police troopers are using devices known as cellular data extractors to retrieve information from a citizen's mobile device during a traffic stop without their consent.

In an April 13 letter to Col. Kriste Etue, director of the state agency, the civil liberties union expressed its concern that the devices may violate search-and-seizure rights.

"The Fourth Amendment protects citizens from unreasonable searches," according to the ACLU's letter. "A device that allows immediate, surreptitious intrusion into private data creates enormous risks that troopers will ignore these requirements to the detriment of the constitutional rights of persons whose cell phones are searched."

The state police acquired several of Cellebrite's UFED devices that extract data such as phonebook, pictures, videos, text messages, call logs, ESN, and IMEI information. The data is then collected into reports for research and evidence that can be used in the courtroom.

http://www.policemag.com/Channel/Te...roopers-Use-of-Cellphone-Data-Extractors.aspx

Should Cops Be Allowed to Scan Your Phone During a Traffic Stop?

In Michigan, the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) has filed a complaint alleging that Michigan State Police officers used forensic cellphone analyzers to snoop in drivers' cellphones during routine traffic stops. PM talked to a Fourth Amendment expert to sort through whether that amendment's protections against illegal search and seizure should stop an officer from scanning your phone.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tec...r-phone-during-a-traffic-stop-5587825?src=rss

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh God Hobbes, you mean that filthy, scum sucking lawyers might actually protect the rights of the public???? Perish the thought!!!

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How can anyone defend that kind of thing? I can't imagine why a routine traffic stop would necessitate searching a person's phone.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I had one of those pocket phones, It 'ould prolly contain pichers of women with their britches down.
I don't want the whole world knowing that, believe you me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom