Your Cell Phone Searched During A Routine Traffice Stop, Without A Search Warrant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GlockedandLoaded

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Wow this whole thread is a great example of non LEO's jumping to conclusions about what we are and are not doing and under what authority LEO's are acting in searching something like this...hello knee can I jerk some more. Let me see if I can shed some light here...When a LEO makes a traffic stop and they have PC to search a vehicle without a warrant under exigent circumstances they can look anywhere in that car for evidence of the crime they are looking for..This can also be accomplished as a search incident to arrest while the arrestee is present.

Example...I pull over joe dirt head and find drug scales, drugs, and money...I can also search the cell phone for further information on that crime. I can only look for evidence furthering the crime I already have proof of. So with joe dirt the drug dealer I look for information on his drug dealing ways...like the phone number of his supplier...or text messages from people that are buying his poison...His cell phone is in essence a drug ledger and great evidence. Or I can simply ask the person for consent to search their phone and they either give it or deny it. If they give it I will look and if they deny it I wont look it's that simple.

I can tell you know people that LEO's are not just willy nilly searching phones on routine traffic stops...they only do this when the situation is right for it...and they would not just look in a phone without other pertinent evidence of a crime. In situations where I don't have any other evidence to look in the phone the courts have already said I need a warrant except where exigent circumstances dictate I can or as a search incident to arrest with the arrested party present, this question has been answered by the courts time and time again. Don't believe everything the media tells you people...

good to know that your priorities are with the government and not the people.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
spd67 said:
Wow this whole thread is a great example of non LEO's jumping to conclusions about what we are and are not doing and under what authority LEO's are acting in searching something like this...hello knee can I jerk some more. Let me see if I can shed some light here...When a LEO makes a traffic stop and they have PC to search a vehicle without a warrant under exigent circumstances they can look anywhere in that car for evidence of the crime they are looking for..This can also be accomplished as a search incident to arrest while the arrestee is present.

Example...I pull over joe dirt head and find drug scales, drugs, and money...I can also search the cell phone for further information on that crime. I can only look for evidence furthering the crime I already have proof of. So with joe dirt the drug dealer I look for information on his drug dealing ways...like the phone number of his supplier...or text messages from people that are buying his poison...His cell phone is in essence a drug ledger and great evidence. Or I can simply ask the person for consent to search their phone and they either give it or deny it. If they give it I will look and if they deny it I wont look it's that simple.

I can tell you know people that LEO's are not just willy nilly searching phones on routine traffic stops...they only do this when the situation is right for it...and they would not just look in a phone without other pertinent evidence of a crime. In situations where I don't have any other evidence to look in the phone the courts have already said I need a warrant except where exigent circumstances dictate I can or as a search incident to arrest with the arrested party present, this question has been answered by the courts time and time again. Don't believe everything the media tells you people...

That's a nice knee jerk reaction there.

The ACLU isn't the media. And like I said before, they don't exactly put out a release like that without evidence of wrongdoing. It would significantly hurt their credibility in the legal realm.

By the way, what are drug scales?

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a nice knee jerk reaction there.

The ACLU isn't the media. And like I said before, they don't exactly put out a release like that without evidence of wrongdoing. It would significantly hurt their credibility in the legal realm.

By the way, what are drug scales?
The same as the scales I use to measure firearm propellants except the bad guys use them to measure drugs instead.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The same as the scales I use to measure firearm propellants except the bad guys use them to measure drugs instead.

watch out, get pulled over with a scale and a firearm in michigan and all your buddies here on OSA might find themselves in a database somewhere if you've been surfing the net on your phone...:rubhands::hypnotize:

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yeah im pretty much the best

ai.imgur.com_w9zBq.gif

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow this whole thread is a great example of non LEO's jumping to conclusions about what we are and are not doing and under what authority LEO's are acting in searching something like this...hello knee can I jerk some more. Don't believe everything the media tells you people...

Uh...yeah....and police are NEVER, EVER corrupt. Gosh whatever are those Federal Prosecutors thinking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom