Your Cell Phone Searched During A Routine Traffice Stop, Without A Search Warrant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Knowing drug dealers use phones in drug trafficking is PC to search every phone you come into contact with.

Driver: Is there a problem officer?
Officer: License registration and cell phone please.

Glad we cleared that up.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Thanks for the different source. But I'm still seeing more accusation than fact. If someone wants to claim the devices are being used on traffic stops fine, but a claim is not proof. (actually the letter from the ACLU doesn't assert they are being used on traffic stops, so where is all the talk of them being used on traffic stops coming from, I'd like to know?)

Here's another article, wherein the MSP make the very clear statement the devices are not being used during routine stops: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2383909,00.asp. They state that the devices are being used by specialty teams on criminal cases.

I'd like to see even a single driver come forward and state that his/her cell phone was taken and scanned as a result of a routine traffic stop.

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow this whole thread is a great example of non LEO's jumping to conclusions about what we are and are not doing and under what authority LEO's are acting in searching something like this...hello knee can I jerk some more. Let me see if I can shed some light here...When a LEO makes a traffic stop and they have PC to search a vehicle without a warrant under exigent circumstances they can look anywhere in that car for evidence of the crime they are looking for..This can also be accomplished as a search incident to arrest while the arrestee is present.

Example...I pull over joe dirt head and find drug scales, drugs, and money...I can also search the cell phone for further information on that crime. I can only look for evidence furthering the crime I already have proof of. So with joe dirt the drug dealer I look for information on his drug dealing ways...like the phone number of his supplier...or text messages from people that are buying his poison...His cell phone is in essence a drug ledger and great evidence. Or I can simply ask the person for consent to search their phone and they either give it or deny it. If they give it I will look and if they deny it I wont look it's that simple.

I can tell you know people that LEO's are not just willy nilly searching phones on routine traffic stops...they only do this when the situation is right for it...and they would not just look in a phone without other pertinent evidence of a crime. In situations where I don't have any other evidence to look in the phone the courts have already said I need a warrant except where exigent circumstances dictate I can or as a search incident to arrest with the arrested party present, this question has been answered by the courts time and time again. Don't believe everything the media tells you people...

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow this whole thread is a great example of non LEO's jumping to conclusions about what we are and are not doing and under what authority LEO's are acting in searching something like this...hello knee can I jerk some more. **snip**

LOL ... this made me spit perfectly good beer all over my computer!!

That is what "we" do here ... talk out "our" azzes about something "we" know absolutely nothing about! haha!

Koshinn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow this whole thread is a great example of non LEO's jumping to conclusions about what we are and are not doing and under what authority LEO's are acting in searching something like this...hello knee can I jerk some more. Let me see if I can shed some light here...When a LEO makes a traffic stop and they have PC to search a vehicle without a warrant under exigent circumstances they can look anywhere in that car for evidence of the crime they are looking for..This can also be accomplished as a search incident to arrest while the arrestee is present.

Example...I pull over joe dirt head and find drug scales, drugs, and money...I can also search the cell phone for further information on that crime. I can only look for evidence furthering the crime I already have proof of. So with joe dirt the drug dealer I look for information on his drug dealing ways...like the phone number of his supplier...or text messages from people that are buying his poison...His cell phone is in essence a drug ledger and great evidence. Or I can simply ask the person for consent to search their phone and they either give it or deny it. If they give it I will look and if they deny it I wont look it's that simple.

I can tell you know people that LEO's are not just willy nilly searching phones on routine traffic stops...they only do this when the situation is right for it...and they would not just look in a phone without other pertinent evidence of a crime. In situations where I don't have any other evidence to look in the phone the courts have already said I need a warrant except where exigent circumstances dictate I can or as a search incident to arrest with the arrested party present, this question has been answered by the courts time and time again. Don't believe everything the media tells you people...

So, being an LEO, you know what goes on in every single law enforcement department across the entire country with all their different statutes?

I think your reaction is more knee jerk than most people's in this thread.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, being an LEO, you know what goes on in every single law enforcement department across the entire country with all their different statutes?

I think your reaction is more knee jerk than most people's in this thread.

no you dont understand because youre not part of the THIN BLUE LINE

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
no you dont understand because youre not part of the THIN BLUE LINE

You can't handle the truth!
ai.imgur.com_oCgdT.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom