Your cool and interesting ancestors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForsakenConservative

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My uncle Blondie was Marine on Iwa Jima during the invasion. A Jap officer slashed at his back-my uncle swung around and shot him. That sword was over his mantle at least until I joined the Navy. My uncle Wilson was in the Army in WW2 Europe, I have the 48 state flag that was draped over his coffin. My uncle Don was a Photographer’s Mate on a carrier in the Pacific. When he learned I was joining the Navy, I was shown many of his movie clips. I was surprised how most of it was actually in color, and recognized some shots that were used in movies! My uncle Bill was in Navy boot camp company 25 of 1940, RTC Great Lakes. He was stationed at Pearl Harbor and his ship was sunk at anchor. He said the only reason he survived was because he was on a 3 day pass, shacked up with a hooker! He carried a rice paper letter in his wallet from FDR. It was a mass-printed 1941 version of a stop-loss message. FDR apologized that uncle Bill would not be able to go home when he thought he was……..

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bell Starr on my mother’s side I seen pictures of them when I was younger after grandma passed away I’m not sure what happened to them
My great, great grandfather lived in SE Oklahoma and was a neighbor to Belle Starr. His name was Joseph Tate and is mentioned in the book they sell at the Robbers Cave gift shop. Rumor has it, he helped her hide from the law, supposedly had an affair with her and was a pallbearer at her funeral.

deerstalker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
About all I know was my great grandpa from southern Illinois got caught selling booze, and not too many men wanted to tangle with him..
1634512468870.png

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Great Grandfather was born in Ireland in 1856, came to the states in 1880, and participated in the Oklahoma Territory 1889 Land Run and got 160 acres. Got some interesting documents from the National Archives describing the process of proving the land.

My 3rd Great Grandfather fought in the Civil War for the Union Army and was shot with a mini ball and wounded in the battle of Spotsylvania County Virginia, he retuned to action and fought in 18 different battles. His company fought in 29 battles, so he missed 9 during his recovery time. Records from the National Archives show he was shot just above the upper rib on his left side in the pectoral muscle. That documentation has drawings of the human body where they describe and document the wound. I also had ancestors who fought for the Confederacy.

I have also documented my 5 times Great Grandfather on my mom's side and 5 times Great Grandfather on my dad's side for my membership and certificates in the Sons of the American Revolution organization.
I'm sure I have others that were in the Revolution War as well, but those are the only two I have researched and proved with documentation.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After I posted about my Confederate relative, I was thinking about my other Tennessee relatives. They were quite a bunch. One of my great uncles was a deputy sheriff in Memphis, and met his future wife when he arrested her during a raid on an illegal gambling hall. And all the family still laughs about my great grandmother when upon seeing what she thought was someone looking in her window, she pulled her .45 sixshooter and shot their bull right between the eyes.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
1634522743566.png
[

URL unfurl="true"]https://www.amazon.com/Love-Company-Infantry-Japanese-2002-04-30/dp/B01JXQRRXY[/URL]

This book was written by a friend of my dad in Okinawa. I've met and talked with Don several times.
Dad always said, if you want to know what he did in Okinawa, read that book. Don died a year before dad in 2017. I enjoyed dad's 96th Infantry reunions. Especially with his company's buddies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom