Interesting Article In The Washington Post Today About Oklahoma and Federal Money

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BTDT ... I've had to chew a little crow once or twice in my time ... around here Evelyn Woods is not your friend ... lol

Too much innuendo and intrigue ... not to mention plain ol BS ... haha!

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey, who is this Evelyn Wood? I mean, if I've already stepped in it, maybe I ought to try to.....

.....never mind.

lol

Don't tell me you've never heard of Evelyn Woods' Speed Reading Course ?!!?!? MY GAWD MAN ... what a sheltered life you have led ...

Oh and "stepping in it" is one thing ... "dropping to the ground and wallering" is quite another. I was TRYING to be nice!! ;)

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, did you say the exact same thing every time that Brad Henry put in for Federal disaster money? If you didn't, please apologize to the conservatives.

Absolutely I did. Who exactly would I apologize to anyways? Certainly not Mary Fallin or many other Rs in the legislature. Conservative seems to only matter on social issues it seems.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haha, it's OK Terry... I probably should have phrased that differently or quoted the article -- I can see how you could think I was actually expressing that opinion.

It really is classic WaPo though... which is really just classic biased journalism. I suppose they think they are being clever by slipping those little comments in.

I am trying to think of one positive thing the federal government has done for me lately... and the answer I keep coming up with is "nothing that a free market couldn't do better." Mostly they just take my money and give it to less productive people, or spend it on other programs that impede the liberty and productivity of this country. And yes, this includes the military... I firmly believe our current foreign policy makes us less safe rather than more safe. I do believe in having a national military, but I believe it should be a much smaller, purely defensive force, and I think a lot of that role could be taken by the States. I suppose if it were up to me I'd keep the federal courts, too... we do need some sort of forum for interstate disputes.

I am a big believer in the strong nondelegation doctrine... I believe that all administrative agencies are unconstitutional and should be disbanded. Agencies are completely antithetical to the notion of representative government. If we are to have laws, they should be made by elected representatives of the people rather than unelected, unaccountable bureaucrats. Unfortunately, the vast majority of all our laws are in the form of "regulations," and are made by agencies. You can hardly call our country a Republic anymore... Administrative State would be a more accurate term.

Just think, if we didn't have all those agencies, all the tens of millions of people employed by them would then have to be employed in the private market, doing something that actually benefits other people enough that they are willing to pay for it voluntarily. Some people would be able to be employed doing nearly the same thing in the private market, such as air traffic controllers and airport security, but other fields would cease to be (EPA toilet flush volume inspectors, for instance).

In a free society, private quality certification companies (like Consumer Reports, SAE, ISO9000, etc.) would take the place of government regulators. We would still have the Courts, so if anyone's actions directly harm another person or their property, the victim could obtain redress and compensation -- that would provide all the environmental and industrial regulation we would need. Without all the victimless crime legislation, the police would be focused purely on prosecuting those who violate the rightful liberty of others. There would be no central bank manipulating the market, and politicians would not have the authority to subsidize failed firms, which would make our market much more efficient and productive.

Basically we would have a freer and more prosperous society. Sound good to anyone?

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is my problem with that article.
What I gleaned from it is that we do have a large percentage of "government workers" that relates to military, and civilians that work at Tinker, Ft Sill, air traffic controllers, and other military facilities around the state. These workers provide a service to the country for defense.

Yeah, ok, it federal money, but its money coming to our citizens for the work they do. Maintaining our critical defense capabilities.

Anybody have a problem with that????

Just because you work for the government doesn't mean your lazy or stupid, nor on the dole.

BTW I don't work for the Government.

Interesting article. But what is lacking is the data. X amount of federal employees in the state does not equal the same amount of "federal money" coming into the state.

I agree with both of you
This article and others like it that continue to show up over the years are nothing but a poor attempt by pinko liberals trying to make taxpayers feel guilty.
A civilian fixing a tanker at Tinker is getting paid for work done. He is not on welfare or any of the many groups that get free money (money I pay). I have no idea what "Oklahoma" got from the Feds, I'm Oklahoma and I got nothing. In fact I paid through the nose one more time so that the many leeches in State, out of State and overseas, legal and illegal can continue living off my hard work. I could have spent that money on my family instead.
I have never believed in wealth redistribution, that's what the commie wet dreams are made of.

Latest posts

Top Bottom