Your level of training and experience.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you have firearms training?

• I have only military or LEO training

Votes: 33 17.3%
  • I have sought and bought training on my own as a civilian

Votes: 45 23.6%
  • I have military/LEO training and sought further training on my own

Votes: 58 30.4%
  • I have no formal training. Competition does not count.

Votes: 55 28.8%

• Total voters

Boatcephus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
25+ years of plinking at a bridge over Chouteau Creek. I am probably the most accurate snake-killer in Mayes County with a handgun fired at a down angle of 30 degrees or greater. Every time I try to practice on a target level with me it just feels weird.

Tully

Marksman
Reaction score
When I was in Basic Training in the Army in 1970 I came down with kidney stones the weekend before we started M16 training. You could miss 5 days of regular Basic or 3 days of rifle training before you got recycled. On the 3rd day of laying up in the hospital I asked if I could get out. They sent me back to my company. A food truck was preparing to head out to the range. I hitched a ride with them. I did not want to be recycled. It was late in the day when I got to the range. I found my Platoon Sarge and told him what had happened. He said "tell you what Richard head, take this rifle and let's see if you can hit anything with it". I guess I did OK because I didn't get recycled.
Once I got overseas I had to carry an M14 on guard duty so I had to qualify with it. What a sweet firing rifle. Loved to shoot the M14 but the M16 was better for carrying around.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Training in any endeavor should never really end because complacency can lead to an unsatisfactory result. Kind of like addictions are never really "cured", you can only be in "recovery" because you learn more about living without the addictive behaviors every day.

Bigsaxy1270

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Military training with the M-16. LEO training with the pistol. Since then I've been thru an advance shotgun school, basic sniper school and advanced sniper school.
Dad taught me the basics and I've been shooting since I was old enough to hold a gun. Schools are great if you can afford them. My sniper schools cost me over $1000 each just in ammo but it was well worth the money inthe knowledge that I took away. Before those schools I had never shot at anything over 200 yards. Now those are my warmups and shooting 600-800 yards are where the fun lies. It's an amazing feeling to be able to hit a target from that distance and then to go out deer hunting and and look at deer 400-450 yards out and know that you can put that bullet right where you want it.
Figure out what type of shooting you really want to excel at and go for it. I'm decent with the pistol because as a police officer my life depends on it, but the long range game it the most challenging.
Good luck. If I can be of assistance shoot me a PM.

Latest posts

Top Bottom