Your perception of tattoos and people who have them?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The other day I went to QuikTrip, and walked in the door behind a slender, athletic woman wearing a racer-back sport top and lycra exercise shorts. Dang, but from the back she was in great shape, and when she looked over her shoulder at a display rack, I saw she was cute too, and seemingly age-appropriate. So I took my time paying for gas, hoping to get a chance to talk to her when she came back up front.

As she came around the end of a display rack and walked toward the cash register, I saw she had tattoo work from one shoulder across her upper chest to her other shoulder. I couldn't tell how far down the tattoos went on her chest, but the sight of it going from shoulder to shoulder was enough to cool my jets, and I left the store without saying anything to her.

It made me wonder afterward - how much of an influence does the sight of tattoos have on your perception of a person? For my part, it doesn't much affect my appreciation of a lovely female if she has a small tattoo on her arm or ankle, but the bigger the tattoo (and more confrontational), the more my appreciation wanes. I realize that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and that people who get tattoos think it's an expression of self and of art, etc. But how much is too much? Does it affect your assessment of a person, male or female, to see large tattoos across their skin? Does the placement of the tattoo (face, neck, arm, lower back, etc.), and type of tattoo (a word or phrase, symbol, abstract art, etc.) also slant your perception ? I'd like to hear your thoughts on this, but please, keep it civil. This is not meant to be a personal attack, but rather a discussion of a spreading phenomenon.

mksmth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would have done the same thing as you. Its a huge deal breaker for me to see a nice looking girl painted like a rodeo clown, makeup or tattoo's. For me if the tattoo is much bigger than the palm of my hand that is too big for a girl.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When it comes to women, placement and the overall package matter more than just the tattoo itself. Sometimes it can be off putting, sometimes it makes a chick hotter in my eyes.

With guys? Whatever...facial and neck tattoos aren't for me but they usually don't even register.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't mind them. I'm more interested in what a fella smells like and how he treats me (which we'll never know if I don't talk to him :wink2:) than I am how he dresses, or tats or piercings for that matter. Drives GC absolutely nuts. That's okay. His profiling drives me nuts ...

That said, I can freely admit that my profile-engaging, revenue-generating, ever ready built in SWAT team JBT's :police2: retirement plan is much, much better than the one my pot-smoking, long-haired, perpetually non-employeed club DJing biker before him had. :teehee: That and he treats me a lot better ... :)

:popcorn:

ETA: I just remembered something hysterical ... The biker guy threatened to leave me if I ever got a tattoo (should of just gone and gotten one when the SOB said that) or piercings anywhere besides the one I had in my ears. Asshat told me as long as I was dating him I'd wear my hair a certain way, too. He was the single most judgemental person I have ever known in my life, except for maybe my mother. Needless to say we had a rather volatile, on-and-off relationship ... :grumble:

GC not only doesn't care how I wear my hair (whatever I'm happy with, he's happy with) he went with me when I got a couple of piercings AND helped me pick out the tattoo I have. :) We have our moments but we are mostly happy with each other. :heart:

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't mind them. I'm more interested in what a fella smells like and how he treats me (which we'll never know if I don't talk to him :wink2:) than I am how he dresses, or tats or piercings for that matter. Drives GC absolutely nuts. That's okay. His profiling drives me nuts ...

That said, I can freely admit that my profile-engaging, revenue-generating, ever ready built in SWAT team JBT's :police2: retirement plan is much, much better than the one my pot-smoking, long-haired, perpetually non-employeed club DJing biker before him had. :teehee: That and he treats me a lot better ... :)

:popcorn:

ETA: I just remembered something hysterical ... The biker guy threatened to leave me if I ever got a tattoo (should of just gone and gotten one when the SOB said that) or piercings anywhere besides the one I had in my ears. Asshat told me as long as I was dating him I'd wear my hair a certain way, too. He was the single most judgemental person I have ever known in my life, except for maybe my mother.

GC not only doesn't care how I wear my hair (whatever I'm happy with, he's happy with) he went with me when I got a couple of piercings AND helped me pick out the tattoo I have. :)

Tell GC that hurts my feelings! No profiling friends!

I think tattoo's are fine, I have a few and the wife has a few. I forget I have them until I realize someone is staring at me or asks me if it hurts. Duh.

Edit: Ok, maybe I have more than a few...

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When it comes to women, placement and the overall package matter more than just the tattoo itself. Sometimes it can be off putting, sometimes it makes a chick hotter in my eyes.

With guys? Whatever...facial and neck tattoos aren't for me but they usually don't even register.

Yep, this.

If she has a prison style cursive "P-Nut" across the top of her pancake booby, then I'll pass.

This..
7886_484682038273277_33441795_n.png

..is absolutely sexy.

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't have any tattoos but have been thinking of getting one since I do not wear a watch or any sort of jewelry (habit from my previous life). If I do get one it will be of a watch on my left wrist and it will be showing 5 o'clock (somewhere).

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tat's don't bother me, as I have several myself. I don't understand some people messing with their face/neck area, but it just doesn't make sense to me for employment reasoning. I would think it would be very hard to maintain any professional job with ink on the face or neck, and people tend to not take you seriously. I think people put too much thought into the ink, and not the person. Facial piercings strike me the same way. I personally don't find them attractive nose/lip/eye/cheek, but some people do. At least with a piercing you can remove it from you face later if you have buyers remorse.

Humans have been doing ink a lot longer than we have been civilized.

Latest posts

Top Bottom