Youth Archery Classes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone have info on any OKC area youth archery classes/clinics? My son is interested, but his school doesn't do any archery in PE like some schools do.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I can't help you here, but this reminded me of something off SNL the other night. If you've ever wondered just how leftist TV is, especially SNL, then wonder no more. During the weekend update with Seth Myers, he mentioned that due to the popularity of the movie The Hunger Games, a school in New York City has adopted an archery class. His response, "Archery in school? What could possibly go right?!". Made me shake my head.

Either way, good luck on your hunt! If archery clubs don't offer what you're looking for, I really wouldn't know where else to look except for maybe The Boy Scouts, and I don't even know if they do it.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not to high jack but whats a good youth bow? My son will be 6 and daughter 8 come christmas, and I might get them bows for christmas if not over the summer since they already have rifles.

longrangepistol

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Trosper Archery Club has a Junior Olympic Archery Development program (JOAD) that meets on the Saturday morning at 10:00 AM. Their website is

www.trosperarchery.com

Click on the Junior Archery section and contact Ms. Jane Johnson and she'll be able to sign your son up for JOAD. Her telephone number and email are listed within that section. They will have all the equipment if you son doesn't have a bow yet.

If you get a chance Trosper Archery just started their Tuesday Night Field league. It's a lot of fun and will get your form ready for hunting season in the fall.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

LRP

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Not to high jack but whats a good youth bow? My son will be 6 and daughter 8 come christmas, and I might get them bows for christmas if not over the summer since they already have rifles.

My 9yo daughter will be shooting one of these, a Mission Craze, this coming season.

The Bow For Everyone

The all-new Craze is a grand slam in bow design. No other bow on the market can brag over 40 lbs. of weight adjustment. This bow truly lives up to the hype of its name with parallel limbs, a highly-adjustable dual-cam system, a compact riser and a mere 3.6 pound of mass weight. Dig into the stats, and you’ll be even more impressed: up to 70 lbs of power, 80% let off and an ample 306 fps…all for under $300.

Specifications
Colors
Accessories
Adjustability

IBO Rate Up to 306 fps
Physical Weight 3.6 lbs.
Axle to Axle 28"
Brace Height 7.5"
Let-off 80%
Riser Extruded
Draw Weight 15 - 70 lbs
Finish (Riser/Limbs) Lost Camo AT
Draw Length 19 - 30"
Silencers D-Amplifiers™
Suppressors N/A
Cam(s) N/A
Cable Guard Carbon Rod
Bowstrings Zebra® Hybrid
String Length 55 3/4"
Grip Composite
Cable Length 30 7/8"
MSRP $299.00 (Bow Only)

longrangepistol

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
bigfug said:

I would find out what eye dominance your children are. Have them hold out both their right and left arms in front of them and form a circle/hole with their adjoining hands. Focus on an object 30 feet away and have them close one eye at a time. Whichever eye is focused on the object in question will be their dominant eye. This is irrespective of whether they are right handed or left handed. My oldest is right handed but left eye dominant, she shoots a left handed Mathews Mission Menace, well. She won the NFAA Indoor Southern Sectional in March of this year with the bow she got for her birthday in December.

Every student I've taught who's fought the battle to stay with the hand vs. eye dominance has struggled. Go with the dominant eye every time if you want to be successful and competitive.

I found my daughter's Mathews Mission Menace on Craigslist in November of last year. Purchased the bow, drop away rest, fiber optic sight, release and arrows for $200.00 (bow and accessories were purchased in Sept. 2011 for $512.00 per seller's receipt). Watch Craigslist and archerytalk.com for deals especially now after the hunting season.

The one caveat I tell all students is don't overbow yourself. Don't get a bow that draws too much or you risk bad habits in form. And remember always tell your child this about having FUN, even when you're at a National Tournament like NFAA Indoor Nationals in Louisville, Kentucky.

Skiluvr03

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Archery is the rage nowadays with the kids and I couldn't be more tickled. They are saying it's due to the movie, "Hunger Games", but it started long before the movie or the book in Lawton; I really don't know what started it, but kids are putting down the xbox controllers and heading to the archery range and I couldn't be more happy. We have been having all kinds of competition and archery meets around here. What is great too, is the archery equipment for kids is really cheap, much cheaper than you'd expect, which is a good tactic since if you get them hooked, then you will make a lot of money off of them later. Just last week, we had two or three fundraisers at work to support kids going off to out-of-town archery competitions. Not all kids are bad, lol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom