Youth football brag thread - please brag about your kid

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone is welcome to join in and brag about their kids.

I'll start. My son is a 6th grader and has never played football before and never really had an interest in it until last fall when he proclaimed he wanted to play football "next season". His mom and I had our doubts if he could hack the hot August practices with the steep learning curve for a new player but we told him we would support him 110%.

Fast forward to June, 2012. The kid gets fitted for equipment and is pretty pumped about the upcoming season.
Fast forward to July when pad\tackle camp starts. I watched my normally zoned-out-kid get in there, run the exercises, and listen to everything the coaches told him.
Then practices start. Some of the kids on his team have been playing for as much as 7 years. My kid knows he won't get in a ton of playing time but he learns the plays and runs the drills along with everyone else. The coaches are fantastic and work the newer players into positions where they don't have a ton of responsibility but are part of the team.

I've already seen huge changes in my son due to some hard work and sweat. They had their first game today where they beat their opponent 35-0. He's seeing what happens when you put forth some effort. I don't expect him to become a star player but want him to be there, train hard, participate, and complete his commitment.

Couldn't be more proud of my son.

Your turn!

milsurp2.0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I don't have that good of a story but my 5th grader has played since the 3rd grade and really should be held back as everyone else has been and is tougher mentally and physically. If he had been born 10 days earlier he would be in the 4th grade now. But what's done is done and I'm not going to hold him back to be a "stud". Anyhow this year the grades are combined and his team is playing against 5th and 6th graders that look like a JV team! Despite having an upper respiratory infection he toughed it out today and blocked some humongous kids! Last night he was coughing, choking and puking from the phlegm but wouldn't miss this scrimmage for anything. Not a game, a scrimmage! Our first game isn't until September 15th.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My third year soccer player decided he wanted to play football this year, too. We did hold him back this year, as he was way too young to start school when he did, but we tried it anyway. So now instead of being the youngest kid in his class, he's one of the oldest (2nd grade), and it was the best thing we could have done for him academically. He was one of the bigger kids in his class last year, even at nearly 1-1/2 years younger than a few of the other kids. Anyway, his progress has been great, and he's really getting things figured out. He can throw, he can catch, and he's one of the fastest (if not the fastest) kid on his team. He also weighs too much to play any offensive back position, so so much for any of that. 2nd grade is 8 man mighty-mite, so they play both sides of the ball. His blocking is excellent, but he needs to learn to really bring the hits on defense, and develop a better nose for the ball. Once he gets that figured out, he should make a mean defender. Had a kid get loose today down the right side - and my son got taken to the ground by the left guard. He still got up and ran the kid down from behind - I was proud as hell! Was a good game, and his team won. Great bunch of kids, and if not for two nonsensical pentalties, the score would likely have been higher. And a big plus was that no kids on either team got hurt. On to next week!

twocan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i124.photobucket.com_albums_p19_twocanchoo35_Mobile_20Uploads_1114101358a.jpg

i124.photobucket.com_albums_p19_twocanchoo35_Mobile_20Uploads_1114101402.jpg

2010 NEOYFA 3rd grade CHAMPS! And yes he was crying.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah that's the best when no one gets hurt. During our first scrimmage our opponent lost 3 players, one with a broken hip! Some of these gets are getting big too. One of our defensive line weighed in at 258 today -as a 6th grader! When the kids on the other team saw him their eyes got pretty big.

cvrx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well mine is the opposite. My 6 year old son had his first game today and they got beat 48-0 after 3 quarters they called the game. The bright spot on the last play of the game my son was still trying to tackle the kid and the ref had to separate them, at least he has some fight in him. Its going to be a LONG season for me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom