Youth shotgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foghorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just got my daughter signed up in 4-H and she wants to shoot trap.

There's a 4-H trap club here and we're only a few miles from the range so I'm looking for youth shotty that she can use for trap and hunting. Any suggestions on type and brand would be greatly appreciated. Ive never shot trap before, but i was looking at the condor u/o, maybe a matched set for us both. Or should i just grab her a cheap pump?

Thanks

Fog

Nothing screams poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How old is she? My kids shoot with 4H and you will likely want an O/U for sure, the sooner she can shoot a 12ga the better. The shells are usually supplied by the NRA and will be very light target loads that occasionally have a hard time in some auto loaders. Absolutely needs to accept screw in chokes. Pumps will be tough for trap/skeet even for a good shooter, the doubles eat them up.

Foghorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
She's 10. She's shot my 870 and 887 12ga before without too much trouble but it was just messing around out in the pasture. I was thinking 20 but i think she could handle the 12 pretty well with a light load.

Where do ya'll shoot? Im thinking about running her out next week to watch and learn while i scrape up the funds for her shotty

Nothing screams poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
20's are fine if she is smaller. Our team shoots at a private range in far South Oklahoma for practice but matches are all over the state. The State match is in Guthrie on the 29th of August. If you are on Facebook the 4H Shooting page has lots of locations and dates.

Edit: Most clubs have loaner guns, my guns sucked for the sport when we started so we bummed one for a while.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Go out to the range on a night that the 4H is shooting, talk to the 4H coach and let her see and hold some shotguns. My daughter is pretty tall and long armed for 11yo, she's been shooting a Winchester SX3 20g for the last couple of years. Recoil isn't an issue, and it's a shorter LOP shotgun. Have fun!

Latest posts

Top Bottom