Zero a rifle for 100 with only a 30 yard range?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most people can't shoot an honest 1" group at 30 yards - tenths of inch high or low is pretty much irrelevant (although they always swear that the last two touched!). Center at 30 will be a bit high at 100 - AKA GTG. Realistic expectations at realistic distances is the key here. I personally wouldn't take a shot beyond my practice distance - just like Ez said.

IMHO calculators can shove it - I just can't get them to agree with reality, so I just shoot and record; shoot and record...

RaysZ71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most people can't shoot an honest 1" group at 30 yards - tenths of inch high or low is pretty much irrelevant (although they always swear that the last two touched!). Center at 30 will be a bit high at 100 - AKA GTG. Realistic expectations at realistic distances is the key here. I personally wouldn't take a shot beyond my practice distance - just like Ez said.

IMHO calculators can shove it - I just can't get them to agree with reality, so I just shoot and record; shoot and record...

Exactly, calculators don't factor in wind and other factors that affect bullet flight.

rickeyparker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont think I am gonna have time to find or go to a range thats got enough distance for me to zero my .243 in at 100-150 yards like I would like, so prob gonna have to use H&H, and this is a new rifle/scope. How high should I be on paper at 30 to be zeroed in?

Sight it in 1/2 to 3/4 low at thirty yards, if you can get 3-5 shots printing close then your good at 100 yards, Plus your not factoring in Buck Fever, Lung windage exhaling and exhaling, Shaking with not moving combined with trembling, it should be close for Oklahoma Hunting ,, Most of the shots we take in Oklahoma are well under 100 yards. good Luck Sir go get em.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sight it in 1/2 to 3/4 low at thirty yards, if you can get 3-5 shots printing close then your good at 100 yards, Plus your not factoring in Buck Fever, Lung windage exhaling and exhaling, Shaking with not moving combined with trembling, it should be close for Oklahoma Hunting ,, Most of the shots we take in Oklahoma are well under 100 yards. good Luck Sir go get em.

thats about what I figured, most shots are prob within 40-60 yards. Even zero'ing at a hundred doesnt factor in wind etc, so I figured if I could hold a good 3 shot group I would be allright. Been a while since my last hunt, going with my brother, and we are looking forward to it, thanks guys

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most high-power rifle calibers zeroed at 25 yards recross the same plane at 300 yards. Ask any one familiar with the army AQT.

The Army doesn't shoot .243 and if you look at the path of various calibers, when factoring in differences in ammo, barrel-length, and many other factors associated with hunters and off-the-shelf guns that the Army doesn't have to deal with due to standardization, there's a pretty large difference in the flight path from one end of the spectrum to the other - that difference can be as much as 3-5" at 100yds - I wouldn't take a shot at a deer with that kind of guess in accuracy.

Either way, the OP has undoubtedly been out for at least opening day - maybe he can let us know whether or not he made that shot.

Uncle Bobby

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sight in at 30 and shoot enough rounds to be consistent then go hunting. The 243 shoots flat enough that you will be good out to 200. Your not driving tacks or shooting competition, your shooting at a fairly large kill zone and most shots are under 100 yds in OK as mentioned above. Don't get too confused and try to mic a brick, get familiar with your new rifle and go hunting.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buddy had a bore sighter, got me in on paper. Adjusted left to right a bit, Last 3 shot group was touching at 30, so comfortable with the gun. I was able to hit a milk jug at the edge of the field we hunt, which is probably just shy of 100, so I am pretty comfortable with that.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
so did you kill one yet?

folks go on about minute of angle....
real world shots are more like minute of deer...

Latest posts

Top Bottom