“Shoot to Wound” vs. “Shoot to Stop” vs. “Shoot to Kill.”

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What would you do?

• Shoot to Kill

Votes: 47 42.7%
  • Shoot to Stop

Votes: 60 54.5%
  • Shoot to Wound

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shoot to Disarm

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have no opinion I would like to voice.

Votes: 3 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
True but shooting to kill and shooting until you kill are different ball games entirely. If I could kill a bad guy with the first round to stop an attack immediately that would be ideal.

Once, twice, three times. Doesn't matter. Center mass is shooting to kill. Center mass is what we are taught. If you kill someone with one round, does that make you somehow more noble than if you used two or three? If you kill someone with one round you are shooting until you kill. That is unless you are somehow able to ascertain death after each shot.

Travis798

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I voted shoot to kill because if I have to withdraw my weapon and shoot, I'm shooting several rounds center mass. Shoot to stop just put in my mind shooting in the leg, shoulder, etc. Obviously if the attacker is down and no longer a threat I'm not going to keep shooting, but I think some people are just trying to speak legalise when they say shoot to stop. You shoot to stop the threat, but do so by targeting vital areas that are most likely to kill, therefore you are shooting to kill, to stop the threat.

Last edited:

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think it was Ayoob who said you shoot until they stop doing whatever it was that caused you to start shooting in the first place.

I don't carry a gun to kill people, I carry a gun to protect my life, and the lives of those I care about. Drawing my gun may be all the is ever necessary, that has happened once in my life so far. If drawing and shooting becomes necessary at some point, I don't hope my actions kill or wound another person, I hope my actions protect myself and those I care about. That doesn't mean I am scared to "have to shoot someone" it means be warned, I will go to whatever length is made necessary by the actions of another to defend what is precious to me.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You stop the threat of imminent death or GREAT bodily injury. When the threat is stopped, you stop shooting and call 911. This is the law in Oklahoma.
http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA_Lawbook_NOV_2013.pdf

Wording is important, please correct accordingly

D. A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in any other place where he or she has
a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force,
including deadly force, if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily
harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.

sent form my word a minite corectro fone

Last edited:

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Once, twice, three times. Doesn't matter. Center mass is shooting to kill. Center mass is what we are taught. If you kill someone with one round, does that make you somehow more noble than if you used two or three? If you kill someone with one round you are shooting until you kill. That is unless you are somehow able to ascertain death after each shot.

You really took my comment to a totally different direction. With the one round statement the point I was trying to get at is the desire to have immediate incapacitation as quick and efficiently as I could deliver it and that being my sole objective. We probably all feel that way.

Also my statement had nothing to do with center of mass either but I agree with you on that.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I voted shoot to kill because if I have to withdraw my weapon and shoot, I'm shooting several rounds center mass. Shoot to stop just put in my mind shooting in the leg, shoulder, etc. Obviously if the attacker is down and no longer a threat I'm going to keep shooting, but I think some people are just trying to speak legalise when they say shoot to stop. You shoot to stop the threat, but do so by targeting vital areas that are most likely to kill, therefore you are shooting to kill, to stop the threat.

Just to be Real clear , you might want to rethink that; it wont sound too good in court....jusayin 8/

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
In matters such as these personal opinions are best NOT shared on the internet.

Options though, are worth considering; a small, high lumen light either hand held or weapon mounted. The best case scenario of one adversary in broad daylight is wishful.

Edit: If you don't want to face years of wrongful death civil lawsuits from common-law wives, illegitimate children and so on, consider an expendable wallet. One that is full of low denomination notes, and hope - pray that the danger will pass. It is when they have the money, and they are not satisfied that I would consider ruining the rest of my life.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom