09's summer catch pics??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hubmonkey

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey hubmonkey, how'd that gar taste? lol

Well have you tried it? If not, don't knock it until you try it.

If you know how to clean them they taste as good if not better than most. Trick is slicing them down the spine, with a pair of tin snips of course, peel back that armor, and remove the top portion of the meat. Make sure you remove any red meat. You will get 2 long thick fillets. Slice it into smaller portions and fry it up. Good stuff.

Hub

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

If you know how to clean them they taste as good if not better than most. Trick is slicing them down the spine, with a pair of tin snips of course, peel back that armor, and remove the top portion of the meat. Make sure you remove any red meat. You will get 2 long thick fillets. Slice it into smaller portions and fry it up. Good stuff.

Hub

I did that once and it was ok when fresh & hot. But reheated it wasn't very good to me.

Hondafire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well both of yall are ahead of me. I was just jacking with ya because of all the bad things you hear about them. Personally, I have never tried one.........I think I will have to now

hubmonkey

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did that once and it was ok when fresh & hot. But reheated it wasn't very good to me.

No fried fish is good re-heated, IMO.

Hondafire said:
Well both of yall are ahead of me. I was just jacking with ya because of all the bad things you hear about them. Personally, I have never tried one.........I think I will have to now

If you eat alot of different types of fish, I am willing to bet you will like gar. Most people who say gar is no good, more than likely are just repeating what they heard and never tried it.

I am somewhat particular about what types of fresh water fish I eat and even what parts of the fish I eat. Catfish, I clean very thoroughly and make sure there is no red meat or fat on it what so ever. Red meat and fish fat will ruin a fillet. I also do not eat belly meat from catfish. If you buy "Catfish Nuggets" from gorcery stores, that is belly meat and it is pretty gross, IMO.

Preperation is key. Take your time and soak em in salt water to draw the blood out of the fillets and it is good to go. Here is a website I just found through a quick google search showing how to fillet one.

http://www.bowfishingmadness.com/Gar-Cleaning.html

Hub

warrior45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Hubmonkey!

I disagree with left over breaded fish fillet....lol I used to bring left over catfish sandwiches to work with me.....When your belly is growling nothing better than a catfish sandwich loaded with hot sauce!!!!!

Thanks again for the info, will give this a shot next catch!

W45

No fried fish is good re-heated, IMO.

If you eat alot of different types of fish, I am willing to bet you will like gar. Most people who say gar is no good, more than likely are just repeating what they heard and never tried it.

I am somewhat particular about what types of fresh water fish I eat and even what parts of the fish I eat. Catfish, I clean very thoroughly and make sure there is no red meat or fat on it what so ever. Red meat and fish fat will ruin a fillet. I also do not eat belly meat from catfish. If you buy "Catfish Nuggets" from gorcery stores, that is belly meat and it is pretty gross, IMO.

Preperation is key. Take your time and soak em in salt water to draw the blood out of the fillets and it is good to go. Here is a website I just found through a quick google search showing how to fillet one.

http://www.bowfishingmadness.com/Gar-Cleaning.html

Hub

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Hub

I agree, its really tasty.
I recently found another way to clean them that is really easy. The guy had a meat cutting hand saw. Looks like a hack saw but is stainless.
He just cut them across the body with skin and all on them about 1" thick. Then he took a fillet knife and cut between the skin and meat. Had a perfect little steak. Trimmed off the red meat on the outside, and grilled it.:D

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You know you can apply with the wildlife department and get your pond stocked for free?

Hub

I've been mainly helping my buddy on his new pond. He ended up buying his fish From Dunns fish farm, as he wanted to start out with hybrid bluegill, fathead minnows, and grass carp. The wildlife dept didn't have those type of fish. He wanted to fish it this year, so I've found a pond that has monstor bluegill in it. Caught 71 to put in his pond. Most are big enough to fillet. Weighed the biggest on digital scales. It hit 6 oz. It will spoil you getting the fly out there, twitching it a couple of times, and get a fish on every cast. He'll get some bass fry to put in there next spring.

hubmonkey

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Trust me I know about fishing a good pond, my FIL's is the honey hole.

I hope his grass carp are steralized. My FILs pond has 2 of them we put in there several years ago and one of them is as big as a human, in length, now.

He put in Blackbass, Hybrid perch, bluegills, 2 grass carp, and some channel cats. Also let some red crawdads go in there but the bass made short work of most of them.

Hub

Latest posts

Top Bottom