10/22 to Charger

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, technically ATF says you can only go pistol to rifle and back to pistol on the Thompson Center KITS that were sold with all of the rifle/pistol parts. Here is a letter from ATF in response to a request to turn an Uzi Pistol into a Carbine and then back to a Pistol. ATF said no.

ai462.photobucket.com_albums_qq344_quiet_wolf_BATFEletterpistolrifle1.jpg

ai462.photobucket.com_albums_qq344_quiet_wolf_BATFEletterpistolrifle2.jpg

Thats the Uzi and why, no telling... It can be done with pistols like the 1911. Hell if you could find a a 16 inch barrel you can do it with a glock. You can do it to a AR 15 pistol also, I cant say as to why not on the uzi, thats the ATF waffeling. They are good at that..... Why they said you couldnt is beyond me. Me.

They are making it up as they go... Dont listen to me. I read and reread the letter. They make no sence.. It was always as long as you broke the weapon down and put it in the correct configuration it was ok ( on a pistol reciever) . I guess mabey not. Mabey the question needs to be reworded differently. Mabey the Agent wasnt understanding the question. Heck if this is true Im bumbed. This is the first Ive heard of this..

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats the Uzi and why, no telling... It can be done with pistols like the 1911. Hell if you could find a a 16 inch barrel you can do it with a glock. You can do it to a AR 15 pistol also, I cant say as to why not on the uzi, thats the ATF waffeling. They are good at that..... Why they said you couldnt is beyond me. Me.

Do you have something in writing from ATF that says you can do it with a 1911, Glock or AR pistol?

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you have something in writing from ATF that says you can do it with a 1911, Glock or AR pistol?

No I dont have a paper. I have lived a good chunk of my life in my friends gunsmith shop. My advise shouldnt be taken. Im just going off of what a 60 year old smith has told me. Hear are a few sights, you can go to and still buy the conversion to make a 1911 pistol into a rifle and one for a glock

Sportsman guide http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=453843

Numrich gun supply http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=588350&catid=12245

Also there is a company that makes conversions and sells them now to turn 1911s and glocks into a rifles. Its link is here. Some of these sites state that thier products are legal
http://www.mechtechsys.com/

Maybe you can now understand why Im perplexed. The conversions have been around for years and been sold as legal as long as it was assembled correctly..

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No I dont have a paper. I have lived a good chunk of my life in my friends gunsmith shop. My advise shouldnt be taken. Im just going off of what a 60 year old smith has told me. Hear are a few sights, you can go to and still buy the conversion to make a 1911 pistol into a rifle and one for a glock

Sportsman guide http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=453843

Numrich gun supply http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=588350&catid=12245

Also there is a company that makes conversions and sells them now to turn 1911s and glocks into a rifles. Its link is here. Some of these sites state that thier products are legal
http://www.mechtechsys.com/

Maybe you can now understand why Im perplexed. The conversions have been around for years and been sold as legal as long as it was assembled correctly..

Seadog, I totally understand where you are coming from. ATF seems to generate a lot of confusion. I know that several of the companies you listed make totally legal kits to convert a Glock or 1911 from a pistol into a rifle. Where the questionable legality comes in to play is when we start talking about the ability to convert them back to a pistol once they have been a rifle. All of the ATF opinion letters I have seen say that once you have converted said pistol into a rifle, it cannot go back to a pistol except for the TC Kits. Makes no sense to me why it would be legal for one manufacturers kits, but not others. I was just curious if you had a copy of an ATF letter that stated one of these 1911/Glock/AR conversions could go back and forth beteween pistol, rifle and back to pistol.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ruger Charger with front bi-pod
talk about flat sneaky getting by SBR folding stock accuracy improvements.

[Broken External Image]

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On another note with the Contender I think the ATF was tring to build a case of (intent) to make an illegal SBR seeing as it was sold with the abbility to make either a pistol or rifle with the same reciever. The way they looked at it was you could make a SBR with it and that citizens are untrustworthy. Like this single barrel weapon is that scary. Blah before the Contender this was never an issue.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there an official ATF ruling on the MechTech or similar units?

I know that they are legal to convert from pistol to rifle, but have never seen anything offical about converting them back. That is the issue. Here is another letter where ATF states you cannot convert a TC Contender Pistol (originally bought as a pistol only) back to a pistol once it has been a rifle. They state that only the TC KITS can convert back and forth an unlimited number of times. Like Seadog said, it is very confusing.

ai36.tinypic.com_2cdy6bc.jpg

ai37.tinypic.com_2dinc42.jpg

ai37.tinypic.com_6p54xe.jpg

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there an official ATF ruling on the MechTech or similar units?

I found this on another site. It is an e-mail response that someone received from ATF when he specifically asked about this rifle to pistol and back to rifle issue (relevant part in red). While not "official" it does go along with ATF's stance in the letters I posted earlier.

The Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA), 18 U.S.C. § 921 (a)(7), defines the term “pistol” as: A weapon originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile (bullet) from one or more barrels when held in one hand, and having (a) a chamber(s) as an integral part(s) of, or permanently aligned with, the bore(s); and (b) a short stock designed to be gripped by one hand and at an angle to and extending below the line of the bore(s).

Additionally, § 921 (a)(7) defines the term “rifle” in part as a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder....

Further, the National Firearms Act (NFA), 26 U.S.C. § 5845(a), defines the term “firearm” to include: ...(3) a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length…[and] (4) a weapon made from a rifle if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length....

Research by FTB (Firearms Technology Branch) indicates that the CCU consists of one of three shoulder-stock variants and a replacement barrel of 16-1/4 inches. (Please consult our enclosure of two pages containing data and images obtained from the Mech Tech Systems, Inc., web site.) The conversion unit is designed to work with either a 1911-type pistol or a Glock-patterned pistol, converting either into a “rifle” configuration. The conversion kit itself is simply a collection of firearm parts not regulated under the GCA or NFA.

As you can see from the citations noted above, there is no definition of a “weapon made from a pistol.” Thus, converting a pistol into a rifle using the CCU would not be a violation of the GCA or NFA. However, there is a definition of a “weapon made from a rifle.” Therefore, when you convert a pistol into a rifle, it can not then be converted back. Doing so would constitute the making of an NFA-class firearm that would require prior approval by ATF and appropriate registration.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If only some of the ludacris rules/ laws were wiped from the books. I have never understood the reasoning behind so many of them.. Sheer, plain stupidity.

Latest posts

Top Bottom