100 years down the drain

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.378 Weatherby. The ultimate.

If you are willing to experience 70ft/lb of recoil - might as well shoot 50 BMG.

It makes me puke how well 50BMG and rifles to shoot it are designed and how poorly "dangerous game" cartridges and guns are made: all those 500/600/700 nitro rifles that break your shoulder are just not even in the same category at muzzle or down the range.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
If you are willing to experience 70ft/lb of recoil - might as well shoot 50 BMG.

It makes me puke how well 50BMG and rifles to shoot it are designed and how poorly "dangerous game" cartridges and guns are made: all those 500/600/700 nitro rifles that break your shoulder are just not even in the same category at muzzle or down the range.

Ummm.... On that...

Well, considering that even the *lighter* .50 bmg rifles weigh double the typical weights of hunting rifles, AND they have a muzzle brake the size of a pop can, that generates a HUGE amount of shock to both sides of the shooter, then yeah, go ahead and compare the two.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Neck it down to 224 and have the king of the 224's, neck it down to 308 and have the king of the 308's, neck it down to 338 and have the king of the 338's. Or leave it as is and have the king of the 375's.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ummm.... On that...

Well, considering that even the *lighter* .50 bmg rifles weigh double the typical weights of hunting rifles, AND they have a muzzle brake the size of a pop can, that generates a HUGE amount of shock to both sides of the shooter, then yeah, go ahead and compare the two.

OFF TOPIC!!!

I did miss the weight part when looking at recoil - my bad; they do seem to make VERY efficient muzzle breaks for 50s tho.

I'm not an expert on dangerous game hunting or 50 BMG - just a bit of internet research.
50 BMGs in "hunting" configuration don't weigh much more than other dangerous game rifles - some bolt actions right there with the rest of them (Anzio Iron works). The only thing I found on 50 BMG that it is "unfairly too effective on dangerous game from long distance" - which makes no sense to me what-so-ever, but as I said I'm not an expert;
I guess if you are spending the bucks - hitting 50"- TV-sized target from 50 yards and getting knocked on your ass is with a $30 round is part of experience, who am I to judge???

Last edited:

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Performance and portability outweigh all.

With all jokes aside, shooter outweighs all, and to make "shooter" out of a shooter you'll need practice, practice, practice: I got a feeling 378Wby practice is over in one MAYBE two rounds.

While Wby Mag is indeed a huge case that fits on standard bolt face, there is very little/no use for it on this continent.

Latest posts

Top Bottom