$1200 to spend.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Newbie AR question, is the colt that much better than an RRA? Or is it just the name? Or Bushmaster?

The Brand name means a lot to a lot of people. If you know motorcycles you know that the name "Harley Davidson" means something. It does not mean that a Harley performs better than a Honda or many other well made motorcycles.

There are companies bought abd sold on the strength of brand nameing rights. Colt is a very famous brand name that adds value to every product with that name. How you value the name is what is important when you are spending your money.

If you are buying performance the name brand may not be as important.

Going to Walmart and getting a price that is hard to beat on a well known brand name item is never a mistake when it comes to value. For it to truly be a good value there has to be a known level of performance. I am sure a Colt will do the job. It just may not be as good as another make.

A Colt may sell easier if your cousin gets tired of it or wants his money back.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Colt SP1 carbine that I would not sell or modify. If it was a Bushmaster i would not feel the same about selling it or modifying it. The brand and model adds value to mine. I can't say how much. I can tell you that I would love to look down from heaven and see one of my sons hand it over to his son or daughter someday.

And I am sure that many out shoot it now.

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Newbie AR question, is the colt that much better than an RRA? Or is it just the name? Or Bushmaster?

Colt is the "true" AR15. Everything else is a clone. There are lots of rifles out there nicer than Colt, what is or might be better than one could be debated for an eternity, would cause extreme levels of butthurt for all involved, and will never be resolved to anyone's satisfaction.

A lot of builders make good AR rifles. Comparing any rifle to the Colt is still the best way to measure what you're getting.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Colt is the "true" AR15. Everything else is a clone. There are lots of rifles out there nicer than Colt, what is or might be better than one could be debated for an eternity, would cause extreme levels of butthurt for all involved, and will never be resolved to anyone's satisfaction.

A lot of builders make good AR rifles. Comparing any rifle to the Colt is still the best way to measure what you're getting.

A "true" AR-15 is a Armalite.

Latest posts

Top Bottom