$1200 to spend.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Name brands are name brands for a reason. The "reason" is what makes the difference between a good AR and an "other than" AR.
Like i said earlier, knowing what to look for in so far as manufacturing processes, materials and testing are the important data points.
After determining what your use is for the weapon, and deciding a budget you will be much better prepared to make a good decision if you know what to look for. This means ignoring the hype, and "rollmark" unless you want to argue opinion or something like resale value.

Im not a fanboy for any manufacturer in particular, but i do recognize that some brands make a weapon which is good to go out of the box for the purposes I have for it. These manufacturers have a reputation for using the parts, processes and testing that satisfy my needs. They also have a reputation of backing up their products with excellent customer service should the weapon not be correct.

The point is this, after deciding on your purpose for the weapon, and your budget, find the specs which satisfy your requirements and drive on.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Colt is the "true" AR15. Everything else is a clone.

A "true" AR-15 is a Armalite.

Copied & pasted:

The AR-15 was first built by ArmaLite as a small arms rifle for the United States armed forces. Because of financial problems, ArmaLite sold the AR-15 design to Colt. After modifications (most notably the relocation of the charging handle from under the carrying handle like the AR-10 to the rear of the receiver), the new redesigned rifle was subsequently adopted as the M16 rifle. Colt then started selling the semi-automatic version of the M16 rifle as the Colt AR-15 for civilian sales in 1963 and the term has been used to refer to semiautomatic-only versions of the rifle since then. Although the name "AR-15" remains a Colt registered trademark, variants of the firearm are independently made, modified and sold under various names by multiple manufacturers.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well... Original is Armalite. True is supposedly Colt. That and $0.50 might get you a cup of coffee in 1992.

Meanwhile these days I think a significant portion of Colts sales are based solely on namesake. The AR and the 1911. Take that Rampant Pony off the side and half the chit they put out the door is crap. It will still sell for good money because of the name though.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well... Original is Armalite. True is supposedly Colt. That and $0.50 might get you a cup of coffee in 1992.

Meanwhile these days I think a significant portion of Colts sales are based solely on namesake. The AR and the 1911. Take that Rampant Pony off the side and half the chit they put out the door is crap. It will still sell for good money because of the name though.

I've never owned a Colt. I can't really say good or bad about them. They do charge a premium for their rifles though.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

certainly a good portion of Colt sales may be based on name recognition, however the same could be said about my favorite whipping boy, Bushmaster. Now, take the name and roll mark off that gun and compare the specs with a "nameless" colt and the differences are obvious.
This is why, for whatever reason you get an AR, knowing what makes an attribute good or bad for a particular use is important. This is why I have no reservations about some AR's put out by companies not normally associated with spec guns like PSA. On some models they offer HP/MPI bolts of Carpenter 158 steel, hammer forged CMV FN made barrels, mil spec size receiver extensions, F marked front sight bases, and bolt carriers that are staked as well as any I have seen from the high end manufacturers. These parts are also available in other companies offerings. The plus side to those select PSA offerings is you dont pay the price you would for a Colt, or BCM et.

My point as usual is what makes the gun good to go for an application or not are the materials, manufacturing and testing. The name brand is only as good as the history behind the name, which can change on a dime if they drop the ball.

promiseofwar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A Spikes Tactical may work for ~900.00? Primary Arms is selling them. But I would still go BCM. I am a bit biased as I have only shot/owned Colt (FLETC), Daniel Defense, Sig Sauer, and BCM.

Latest posts

Top Bottom