124 and 147 grain 9mm loads and questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbadge

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Along with the AA#7, I was given single pounds of Unique, Blue Dot and Power Pistol, along with a 4 pound jug of Universal Clays.

I will try the recipe redleg45 listed for Universal Clays and start looking for some Titegroup.

Does anyone specifically load for 147 FMJs? I see lots of lead and 124's but no FMJ 147s.

Don

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have loaded both 125 and 147 lead - J&K lead bullets with Tightgroup powder and Federal Match Grade primers. I load 3.4 for the 125's and 2.6 for the 147s.

I have a Square Deal B also and am also a beginning loader. These loads shoot well for me, but I'm no expert yet. :-)

I'd like to set mine up to also load .380. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to get that setup and what it will cost?

Thanks

B

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I load TiteGroup at 3.4 grains for my 147gr FMJs and 3.8 grains for my 124gr FMJs. I load for my suppressor though and if I wasn't I'd do 3.5 grains and 4.0 grains for the 147s and 124s respectively.

RustyZX9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have loaded both 125 and 147 lead - J&K lead bullets with Tightgroup powder and Federal Match Grade primers. I load 3.4 for the 125's and 2.6 for the 147s.

I have a Square Deal B also and am also a beginning loader. These loads shoot well for me, but I'm no expert yet. :-)

I'd like to set mine up to also load .380. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to get that setup and what it will cost?

Thanks

B

I load the J&K 147's with 2.5 grain of Tite Group and whatever primers are cheap similar to these and have shot literally 1000's of them either practicing for or in competition with no problems. They are very accurate, reliable and soft shooting not to mention that you can load about 2000 of them on one pound of powder!

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I never saw AA#5 in that link

Maybe they decided it's too dirty to include? :)

I shoot 9mm and use HS6, kinda the odd man out here but I really like the way it shoots. The load ive settled on for 147gr J&K lead bulelts is 4.9gr.

I have an utterly unmentionable HS6 load that will push a 124 gr Gold Dot to 1175 fps average......

From a Glock 19C! :bigeye:

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like 3.5gr of unique under that 147gr bullet. Very soft shooting and cases practically fall at your feet.
4.5 to 5gr of unique under your 124.

Unique is not the old dirty powder others claim it is. It meters well, is inexpensive, large grain powder, so hard to double charge..heck 5 grains all but fills the case. Great for .38's, 9mm and If I remember right I have used it for .44 also.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use a lot of AA#5 for a variety of pistol rounds. Works very well for me, but there is an issue with using #5. If you seat the bullet too deeply in the case, pressures can skyrocket more with #5 than with most of the other powders. Be very careful to keep your overall length/seating depth as close to the recipe as possible with #5. I load carbine loads in both 40sw and 9mm luger using AA#7. I get consistently better velocity and accuracy with the #7 powder in 16 inch or longer barrels in those calibers. I probably load more ww-231 in 9mm and below than any other powder. I have used virtually all the pistol / shotgun powders to load light to mid-range pistol loads over the past 4 decades, but I find that I have better success with a wider variety of pistol calibers in small to medium cases with the 231. I would encourage you to try as many different powders as you have access to (published data of course..)
You may find a particular powder bullet combination that works better in a particular gun, when I do that, that's what I stick with for that one.. Blitzfike

Latest posts

Top Bottom