124 and 147 grain 9mm loads and questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow.. i load that one to 1.15.

1.07 is really short.. why so short?

B

Have you chamber checked those in your M&P barrel? On my M&P 9Pro that OAL won't even think about chambering. I had to go to 1.12 to get the bullet to clear the rifling so I load to 1.11. That's .040" different from your number which is pretty significant.

To check, take a loaded round and color the bullet with a dark magic marker. Drop it into your chamber (BARREL REMOVED FROM GUN) and spin it. If there are marks on the colored part of the bullet they ain't clearing the rifling and your rounds are too long, needing to be seated deeper. And this brings up another issue. You may need to drop your powder charge and work it back up because the pressure will go up when you seat the bullets deeper.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
J&K list their 147gr as round nose flat point. Not having loaded any flat nose/point bullets I guess they require a shorter OAL? Assuming they are shorter due to the FN.
After shooting the J&K 230gr 45's I ordered me a Lone Wolf barrel and am gonna make the move from 147gr FMJ to J&K HC.

bigbadge

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow. Thanks guys!

The 9mm information has been great!

Can anyone throw in another recipe or two to try with the 38 HBWC's? (Not trying to be greedy, but my wife LOVES those soft shooters and would maim me if I did not ask one more time!)

Either way. Everything is greatly appreciated.

Don

bigbadge

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Alright, I got a few FMJ 147 grain, Montana Gold flat points ready to go tomorrow.

All have an OAL of 1.159, and do not touch the rifling and still function (manually) in the magazines.

I have batches of Titegroup in:

The 3.0 is a little worrisome, as I found very little refernce to it. It probably sounds stupid, but is 3.0 enogh to get the bullet out of the barrel - it sure seems so, but I got no clue. 3.2 seems to be the most common load.

The highest load information I found was for 3.4, but I figured I would find a decent load in one of the four combos I've got. Who knows?

Any last minute tips, suggestions, ideas or pointers are GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

Don

jcbarlow

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am suprised no one has mentioned power pistol powder. I haven't got to try any other powder yet, but so far it has worked really great. I use 6.7gr for 115gr tmj and an oal of 1.159 and am very happy with it.

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alright, I got a few FMJ 147 grain, Montana Gold flat points ready to go tomorrow.

All have an OAL of 1.159, and do not touch the rifling and still function (manually) in the magazines.

I have batches of Titegroup in:

The 3.0 is a little worrisome, as I found very little refernce to it. It probably sounds stupid, but is 3.0 enogh to get the bullet out of the barrel - it sure seems so, but I got no clue. 3.2 seems to be the most common load.

The highest load information I found was for 3.4, but I figured I would find a decent load in one of the four combos I've got. Who knows?

Any last minute tips, suggestions, ideas or pointers are GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

Don

Don't shoot the 3.0 grain loads first, Try your 3.2 and if the gun cycles normal then I would try the 3.1. If someone goes with you have them watch the gun cycle or you watch it and let them shoot it. Then try the 3.0

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow.. i load that one to 1.15.

1.07 is really short.. why so short?

B

it really does seem short to me also. I ran some hollow points that came in that length that were a bit snappy if you know what I mean. They just looked funny also. Be aware of pressure, 9mm isn't too bad but especially with a fast burning powder you can get some pretty good spikes. I like large flake powder like unique. It makes it really hard to over power a charge cause it will be falling out of the case.

Latest posts

Top Bottom