14 Mossberg 500 That ISN’T NFA!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

copertop80

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What if an LEO shows you the Oklahoma statute? Then what?

I'd really like to get a Shockwave just because it's cool, but not with that kind of risk. It may be very small, but the consequences could be bad. I'm waiting to see if the state AG's office ever comes out with a clarification.

But until then, good luck to all those of you who get one, and enjoy!

how many LEO's go round quoting statutes to people?? not many I know from my time in law enforcement, EXPECIALLY w/o some other probably cause, but if so, then I'm in violation.. along with quite a few other legal gun owners.. and I'll have forfeit $450 at the very least.. I guess I'll burn that bridge when I get to it.. I'm pretty sure (not totally sure but pretty sure) since we live in a free state not some commie state, I should be ok, the guy said that they were NOT allowed in TX. where would one go to look up the OK firearms statutes??

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
HiredHand cited the relevant OK statute in Post 66 of this thread. One of the forum members who is a lawyer with experience in firearms law, opined that the Shockwave was probably not legal in OK. Whether or not an LEO, DA, or judge in the state of OK will act on the statute, is the big question.

AR Addict

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
how many LEO's go round quoting statutes to people?? not many I know from my time in law enforcement, EXPECIALLY w/o some other probably cause, but if so, then I'm in violation.. along with quite a few other legal gun owners.. and I'll have forfeit $450 at the very least.. I guess I'll burn that bridge when I get to it.. I'm pretty sure (not totally sure but pretty sure) since we live in a free state not some commie state, I should be ok, the guy said that they were NOT allowed in TX. where would one go to look up the OK firearms statutes??

I saw a similar "is the shockwave legal?" thread on AR15com and they are selling Shockwaves in Texas, and have been selling the aftermarket versions before these came out.

Our law sure makes it sound illegal, but it also seems it could apply to Taurus Judges, TC Contenders, and others that have been sold for years. I'm hoping this gun being an ATF approved factory configuration will help us out. I still want one!

F451

New to the site!
Reaction score

I expect that the Highway Patrol officers for sure and probably many local law enforcement are watching this and know exactly what the law says. The federal law says barrel of 18 inches OR total overall length of 26 plus inches. Our state definition clearly does not make the exception for overall length, only barrel length. No matter what, officers would have the authority to confiscate this weapon at the least until a judicial review has been done.

Everything in our state statues says this is a shotgun and the barrel length makes it a illegal shotgun.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After reading the statute it appears that it will be legal because it is not a shotgun. QF's post (#91) explains this rather well.

His post does explain it rather well, however there's still the pesky concept of what constitutes a "sawed off" shotgun, which seems to contradict the "as designed" clause. The Shockwave does fire multiple projectiles, and it does have a smoothbore barrel, and it does have a barrel length less than 18". So it could be defined as a sawed-off shotgun, which as you know is illegal in Oklahoma.

We can argue this issue till the end of time, but until the state clarifies its position regarding the Shockwave, I'm going to believe it's probably not legal in OK. Will you get busted simply for owning one? Probably not. Would you win in court if you're indicted for owning what the state considers a sawed-off shotgun? Maybe, but do you want to spend the time and money doing so?

I really wish the state AG's office would respond to the queries sent to them about this issue.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
His post does explain it rather well, however there's still the pesky concept of what constitutes a "sawed off" shotgun, which seems to contradict the "as designed" clause. The Shockwave does fire multiple projectiles, and it does have a smoothbore barrel, and it does have a barrel length less than 18". So it could be defined as a sawed-off shotgun, which as you know is illegal in Oklahoma.

We can argue this issue till the end of time, but until the state clarifies its position regarding the Shockwave, I'm going to believe it's probably not legal in OK. Will you get busted simply for owning one? Probably not. Would you win in court if you're indicted for owning what the state considers a sawed-off shotgun? Maybe, but do you want to spend the time and money doing so?

I really wish the state AG's office would respond to the queries sent to them about this issue.

Could be they have not replied to my request due to the various "watch lists" I am on.

I agree and you make a good point ... Probably not worth the court costs and hassle should one get arrested for having one.

While I think there is a really cool vibe to it I have trouble rationalizing the practical side of owning one.

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom