17 HMR vs. 22 Mag

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
What do you all think? I've got a Marlin 22 mag that is a blast to shoot.Been looking at the 17's for awhile.Do you think one is better overall? Or will the 22 do everything the 17 will do or vice-versa.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.22 WMR all the way man! Packs a punch way out of proportion to what the numbers on paper would lead you to believe.

I don't have much use for s .17 HMR. They have more drawbacks than benefits over a .22 WMR in my opinion.
Give me a 34 or 40 grain HP out of a .22 WMR any day. the .17 is too light for my liking.

This ugly little dude is one of my favorite "utility" guns to have in the truck or keep handy for varmints around the house. Surprisingly accurate for what it is. Ruger 96 with a VX-I

ai143.photobucket.com_albums_r135_ereif_1011.jpg

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
.22 WMR all the way man! Packs a punch way out of proportion to what the numbers on paper would lead you to believe.

I don't have much use for s .17 HMR. They have more drawbacks than benefits over a .22 WMR in my opinion.
Give me a 34 or 40 grain HP out of a .22 WMR any day. the .17 is too light for my liking.

This ugly little dude is one of my favorite "utility" guns to have in the truck or keep handy for varmints around the house. Surprisingly accurate for what it is. Ruger 96 with a VX-I

ai143.photobucket.com_albums_r135_ereif_1011.jpg

Thats not ugly at all.Wish i had bought one years ago.Can't hardly find one anymore.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ordered when I found out the were discontinuing them. Paid $269 for it. I saw one at Wannemachers last year for $450 that was beat all to heck.

I want a 96 in .22lr to play with, but I am not gonna pay a ridiculous price for was originally a fairly cheap gun.

The never were very popular, but they are a blast to shoot. The short lever throw is nice.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I looked at some ballistics, since I now have a 22wmr, and it looks like from muzzle to 100 yards a 22mag is on par with a 223 between 300-400 yards.
All depending on the load obviously, but that has changed my perception of this round.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I looked at some ballistics, since I now have a 22wmr, and it looks like from muzzle to 100 yards a 22mag is on par with a 223 between 300-400 yards.
All depending on the load obviously, but that has changed my perception of this round.

Don't ever shoot a squirrel inside 100yds with one unless you can make a headshot!!!!!!!!

Shooter00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you already have a 22mag, but want to satisfy the 17 itch, look at the 17M2. I don't know what other's opinions are, but I love mine. It's flat shooting to about 150 yards, and takes care of business for sure. It beats a 22 lobbing them in, not as far reaching as the 22mag or HMR, so it fills the niche.

Mine is a 10/22 with Volquartzen bull bbl, bolt and trigger group, and it's one tack driving SOB. I don't hesitate at anything 'yote and smaller out to 125. A varmint load in the .243 takes care of the farther out stuff.

YakBasser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMHO...........on a bluebird, no-wind, "perfect conditions" day, the .17 will outshoot the WMR, but throw anything into the mix, and the WMR will triumph. I shot a .22WMR alongside a .17 @ Happy Hollow with about a 20mph crosswind, and the guy with the .17 was having to hold completely off the target to get close to center on an 8in target, so probably 5in(+). I could hold the WMR just on the outer edge of "bullseye" and bring them in.

This was @ 100yds. The .17 is way faster I guess, but the WMR wins my vote.

RidgeHunter, I'm lovin' the Ruger, and its far from Ugly!

Latest posts

Top Bottom