17 HMR vs. 22 Mag

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gem is right. I found it on Auction Arms. I had to drop some bank on it. I had the Scope mount for my other gun so that saved me some money. Going price without the mount is $850.00 to $1000.00. I got lucky an picked this one up for $800.00 shipped. The guy had a buy it now on it for 1000.00 and the highest bed was not over 400.00 and it went 3 times so I made a offer offered. But I do got to say, its one of my of my top guns.

Yeah that is a good deal. Last one I saw in person was a year ago at the Wannenmacher show. The metal was nice but the wood all banged up and he wouldn't budge off of 1100.

Evan

ColtDogg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now that is a bit high, unless they had the HK05 scope mount. That mount is going at $450.00 to $550.00.

Now I found a HK 300 on gunbroker for 795.00. The gun looks nice other then the Stock. I thought about asking the person if they will take $600.00 for but I am looking to get one more AR right now that is not so easy to find.

Now when I found mine, they had it listed as a HK M330 and I do not know how I found it but that is why I think I got a good deal on it.

I do got to say I have had lots of .22 guns. LR and a few mags, but I got to say this is the best out of all of that I had over the years.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The .17HMR is great for killing turtles in a pond (the water-penetration from a 17HMR is way better than either .22lr or .22WMR).

Having owned a bolt-action .17HMR and a lever-action .22WMR, I don't think I'd own either unless I only had playing in mind (or killing turtles in a pond possibly - .22lr is pretty fun for that even if not as effective).

alnpar

Old Truckers Never Die
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have shot both side by side and the 22 WMR wins if you want to shoot larger varmints. However at 100 yards I have not found a wind that throws my round off the paper. I have shot my Savage 93R17 (.17HMR) out to 300 yards with some simply amazing results. I fired 50 rounds and put 42 of them on a 12"x12" steel plate. Wind was a big factor when I shot it that far out and I doubt that the round has much energy that far out but as far a being able to hit with it then it can be done. The problem that I see with the .17HMR is that is is way to much for squrills and rabbits and not quite enouth for a coyote. I shot a cayote at about 60 yards and the little round made a massive fist sized hole but failed to penetrate enouth to kill the critter. I had to take a second shot to drop it. Well I learned my lesson here and have decided that for killing anything larger than a jack rabbit I will not use the .17HMR. The .17HMR is very accurate out of my Savage 93R17 and I have fired many, many groups under 1MOA at 100 Yards. But I have done close to the same with the 22WMR. I shoot the .17HMR for practice at longer ranges out to 300 yards. Shooting mostly paper the .17HMR rules. For hunting then I would stick to the 22WMR.
This is just my opinion on two fine rimfire rounds.
CHEERS,
notasniper
What Ammo were you shooting that yote with? If the VNT, it is more of a hole puncher, but if you use a different tipped bullet, you will have better results.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What Ammo were you shooting that yote with? If the VNT, it is more of a hole puncher, but if you use a different tipped bullet, you will have better results.
Awesome thread resurrection and great use of the search feature to find it. I've been on some forums that I'm no longer a member of that chastised members for not using that feature. It's a great feature but if not worded right, it can be misleading. Good job!
14 years later, I'm interested in hearing more.

alnpar

Old Truckers Never Die
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The .17HMR is great for killing turtles in a pond (the water-penetration from a 17HMR is way better than either .22lr or .22WMR).

Having owned a bolt-action .17HMR and a lever-action .22WMR, I don't think I'd own either unless I only had playing in mind (or killing turtles in a pond possibly - .22lr is pretty fun for that even if not as effective).
I love both my .17 HMR's CZ-457 and my savage along with my CZ-457 Varmint and my Savage Mark II, All with Bull Barrels. I have no problems shooting out to 235 yards with great accuracy. (ammo makes a huge difference please keep in mind. My 17 HMR's pretty much like all the ammo I put thru it. My .22 Savage will not feed Hollow points. The .22 like SKS, Lupua, but will hit the 235 yard targets (6X8 Ich) with good accuracy. It also oes very well with Aquilla and others as well. I do believe because I have pairs in both, I will be selling one of each and buy a .22 Magnum. The down side, for the 22 Mag, the cost of ammo is about the same as the .17 HMR's. But you only live once. At retirement I treat myself as I worked my butt off and still going pretty strong here at 73.

Latest posts

Top Bottom