17 HMR vs. 22 Mag

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr.haney

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think that the 22 mag can hold its own with the 17 for sure.I shoot a stainless laminated tube fed Marlin in 22 mag and really like it.But I also shoot a Kimber ultra varmint in 17 mach 2 and it is a blast and deadly accurate.

Serenity Bushcraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have shot both side by side and the 22 WMR wins if you want to shoot larger varmints. However at 100 yards I have not found a wind that throws my round off the paper. I have shot my Savage 93R17 (.17HMR) out to 300 yards with some simply amazing results. I fired 50 rounds and put 42 of them on a 12"x12" steel plate. Wind was a big factor when I shot it that far out and I doubt that the round has much energy that far out but as far a being able to hit with it then it can be done. The problem that I see with the .17HMR is that is is way to much for squrills and rabbits and not quite enouth for a coyote. I shot a cayote at about 60 yards and the little round made a massive fist sized hole but failed to penetrate enouth to kill the critter. I had to take a second shot to drop it. Well I learned my lesson here and have decided that for killing anything larger than a jack rabbit I will not use the .17HMR. The .17HMR is very accurate out of my Savage 93R17 and I have fired many, many groups under 1MOA at 100 Yards. But I have done close to the same with the 22WMR. I shoot the .17HMR for practice at longer ranges out to 300 yards. Shooting mostly paper the .17HMR rules. For hunting then I would stick to the 22WMR.
This is just my opinion on two fine rimfire rounds.
CHEERS,
notasniper

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have shot both side by side and the 22 WMR wins if you want to shoot larger varmints. However at 100 yards I have not found a wind that throws my round off the paper. I have shot my Savage 93R17 (.17HMR) out to 300 yards with some simply amazing results. I fired 50 rounds and put 42 of them on a 12"x12" steel plate. Wind was a big factor when I shot it that far out and I doubt that the round has much energy that far out but as far a being able to hit with it then it can be done. The problem that I see with the .17HMR is that is is way to much for squrills and rabbits and not quite enouth for a coyote. I shot a cayote at about 60 yards and the little round made a massive fist sized hole but failed to penetrate enouth to kill the critter. I had to take a second shot to drop it. Well I learned my lesson here and have decided that for killing anything larger than a jack rabbit I will not use the .17HMR. The .17HMR is very accurate out of my Savage 93R17 and I have fired many, many groups under 1MOA at 100 Yards. But I have done close to the same with the 22WMR. I shoot the .17HMR for practice at longer ranges out to 300 yards. Shooting mostly paper the .17HMR rules. For hunting then I would stick to the 22WMR.
This is just my opinion on two fine rimfire rounds.
CHEERS,
notasniper

Now that is a good review! thanks!

ColtDogg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.22 WMR all the way man! Packs a punch way out of proportion to what the numbers on paper would lead you to believe.

I don't have much use for s .17 HMR. They have more drawbacks than benefits over a .22 WMR in my opinion.
Give me a 34 or 40 grain HP out of a .22 WMR any day. the .17 is too light for my liking.

This ugly little dude is one of my favorite "utility" guns to have in the truck or keep handy for varmints around the house. Surprisingly accurate for what it is. Ruger 96 with a VX-I

ai143.photobucket.com_albums_r135_ereif_1011.jpg

This is the gun I want as well. I do like the 22 mag. I just bought my HK 300 in .22 WMR, and I got to say this is one of my top guns.

Now I would love to find one more HK 300, or get a Ruger 96 in .22 WMR.
ai772.photobucket.com_albums_yy6_HK_Dogg_HK300009.jpg

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
.22 WMR all the way man! Packs a punch way out of proportion to what the numbers on paper would lead you to believe.

I don't have much use for s .17 HMR. They have more drawbacks than benefits over a .22 WMR in my opinion.
Give me a 34 or 40 grain HP out of a .22 WMR any day. the .17 is too light for my liking.

This ugly little dude is one of my favorite "utility" guns to have in the truck or keep handy for varmints around the house. Surprisingly accurate for what it is. Ruger 96 with a VX-I

ai143.photobucket.com_albums_r135_ereif_1011.jpg

C&J in bethany has one of these.Asking price is 359 if anyone is interested.

ENC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would take the 22 mag. It is probably my favorite round.

ColdDogg where did you find that little gem (HK)? I have been looking for one of those for a while even the ones on the auction sites seem way high. I am so jealous.

Evan

ColtDogg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gem is right. I found it on Auction Arms. I had to drop some bank on it. I had the Scope mount for my other gun so that saved me some money. Going price without the mount is $850.00 to $1000.00. I got lucky an picked this one up for $800.00 shipped. The guy had a buy it now on it for 1000.00 and the highest bed was not over 400.00 and it went 3 times so I made a offer offered. But I do got to say, its one of my of my top guns.

Latest posts

Top Bottom