17 HMR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.22 Mag ammo is cheaper
.17 is FAST. But, the caliber is of little use, to me. Sold the 1 I had. Own 2 rifles and 2 revolvers in .22 Mag.
The .22 Mag 30 gr gives plenty of speed.

I wish my grandson would stop at 300 rounds per day. I pack a brick of .22 LR or more, when we go. Figure it is cheap entertainment and well worth the memories. At 12, he is more interested in accuracy than just burning ammo. So, ammo use is dropping, a little.

If a .17 is what he wants, it may hard to not get one. Looks like you could find a deal or 4, right here. It MIGHT the type of gun they are shooting? I have .22 LR in bolt, pump, lever, semi-auto; plus revolver and 1911. My grandson goes for the lever gun, every time.

Good luck. Keep him shooting.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bought a Ruger .17 years ago with a laminated stock that is really pretty. sporting a stainless bull barrel.
Accuracy was disappointing because of the trigger. It was pre-accu-trigger. Adding a new aftermarket trigger has made it into a tack driver.
Love shooting it.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got both a 17HMR and a 22WMR rifle for critter control. After using both for awhile, I now have 2 22WMR rifles and a revolver and exactly 0 17hmr firearms.

IMHO, 17hmr is higher velocity but light, making it great for penetration, while 22WMR dumps more energy into the target on impact. I regularly punch through snapping turtle shells at 100 yards with HP 22WMR.

Last edited:

yurigagarian

Marksman
Reaction score
How available is 17 HMR ammo? I have not purchased ammo or looked at ammo or reloading supplies since 2010. I stocked up heavy when Obama went into office.

My grandson has been texting me and is hot to trot that I get a 17 HMR rifle for him to shoot. He has been watching YouTube with people shooting 17 HMR. I have never owned one, but may just have to look into getting one, depending on ammo availability.

This grandson is 10 years old and loves shooting my 22 rifles and 9mm handguns. He is eager to try shooting the 17 HMR.
I have had good luck on the ammo seek website

Latest posts

Top Bottom