• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

17 Mach 2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I’m going to look into that as well then. This may not be as troublesome as I first thought. SGammo is usually my go to but I’ll check out Ammo fast. Are either of you using them as varmint rifles?

I purchased my CZ as a hunting rifle and a target rifle. I actually purchased the target rifle with the match barrel and action, and then purchased the traditional hunting/varmint profile stock and barrels afterwards. Between the 17hmr, 17hm2, and 22lr rifle barrels it should fit my needs nicely. I got it zeroed today, and It will be taken out to hopefully pop some squirrels this weekend. Prairie dogs are on the list as soon as I can find some too.

Last edited:

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Just a heads up, with 17hm2 doing so poorly from the start, it’s my understanding that Hornady does one run of 17hm2 a year. So it’s not as available as we would think, it’s just in low demand. I have 2300 rounds at the moment, but wouldnt mind picking up another 10k in the future. It’s not a super awesome or versatile round, but I like it. I feel like it’s one of those that is constantly on the chopping block.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Just a heads up, with 17hm2 doing so poorly from the start, it’s my understanding that Hornady does one run of 17hm2 a year. So it’s not as available as we would think, it’s just in low demand. I have 2300 rounds at the moment, but wouldnt mind picking up another 10k in the future. It’s not a super awesome or versatile round, but I like it. I feel like it’s one of those that is constantly on the chopping block.
I believe I’m going to do the same. If I can get stocked up once I may never need buy again. Are the chamber and barrel life capable of withstanding 10-15k through them? I can’t imagine not but I’ve been surprised before.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I believe I’m going to do the same. If I can get stocked up once I may never need buy again. Are the chamber and barrel life capable of withstanding 10-15k through them? I can’t imagine not but I’ve been surprised before.
I don’t see why not, but that depends on your uses, expectations, and the actual firearm. I can’t find much with my limited search. This is what I did find:

22 LR, 22 Mag, 17 Mach 2 are loaded to 24,000 psi max average pressure (MAP) with the Piezo system, crusher is no longer used in rimfire. 17 HMR is loaded to 26,000 psi max average pressure (MAP). Regards Linda OlinCCI/Speer Tech Services"

I also found that 17hm2 has the same peak pressure as 22lr, but a longer burn rate. It’s essentially a 22 stinger case necked down to a .17 projectile.

according to Dan lilja:

The best life can be expected from the 22 long rifle (.22 LR) barrels with 5000-10,000 accurate rounds to be expected. We have in our shop one our drop-in Anschutz barrels that has 200,000 rounds through it and the shooter, a competitive small-bore shooter reported that it had just quit shooting.

Remember that predicting barrel life is a complicated, highly variable subject. You are the best judge of this with your particular barrel. Signs of accurate barrel life on the wane are increased copper fouling, lengthened throat depth, and decreased accuracy.

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I’m down around Wayne, but I’m up in the city some. I called my LGS and they’ve got a Savage in stock for $415 OTD. Should I do that, and do a build? I’ll want more than one, I never like having less than a couple in each caliber anyway.
Buy the Savage, They are great shooters

rdg59

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Savage 26724 Mark II FV 17 HM2 5+1 21" Black Satin Blued Right Hand k6 scope and just 741 rds,less 200 rounds tru it

Last edited:

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
41   0   0

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Ammo is "available" it just goes quick. My buddy had a 10/22 converted to 17HM2 he was going to take for Prairie Dogs and it was a cool rifle but didnt carry any energy at any distance that you'd shoot Pdogs so I had to do a lot of cleanup with a HMR and WSM to finish off his wounded soldiers. When he bought it, we were both on the lookout for ammo and I stumbled upon a case of it at an Academy in Memphis and also a case in Waco at a LGS. You just gotta look into it. Anywho...hope the ammo link helps a few people. I saw it posted on another thread so just passing it along since the title was about .22 in stock.

Latest posts

Top Bottom