.17 Super Mag First Impressions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Picked up today, cleaned the tube, put on a scope I had laying around and head out the bench. Had cattle scattered beyond my 100y target. So moved around the other side of the house where I can shoot almost 90y, but no bench, just a folding table. Bores sighted, was left and took a couple to get on paper. So here are the first impressions based on 10 minutes worth.
Pros:
Accutrigger
weighs next to nothing
rotary 8 shot mag works easily and doesn't hang out the bottom of the stock, fits flush
accuracy was good I thought for a "rush out and try it" shooting test. Last three shots are above the * in the pic
Cons:
several sharp or pointy edges on the back of the bolt, and where the bolt lays in the stock(in pic)
top of the stock is not cut out much for the thumb, really have to roll your hand towards the receiver to get your trigger finger down to the trigger.

I'll be ready to get out on the bench and shoot it for real as soon as I have time.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Was shooting the 20gr bullet. I've never pulled the trigger on a .22 mag except for in a revolver so I can't really compare. Had ear protection on and it didn't seem any different than my 5mm mag.

Reaction score
I'm curious to know if that supposed extra 350-450fps really bucks the wind considerably more than my 17hmr with the same weight of bullet down the tube. Haven't seen anyone shoot it through a chronograph yet with the faster load and would like to know just how close it is to that 3000 mark they claim. Thanks for the pics. Neat rifle.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been a fan of the .17 for quite some time, but mostly only for what's it's good for.
This rounds has just worsened my addiction......

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
I'm curious to know if that supposed extra 350-450fps really bucks the wind considerably more than my 17hmr with the same weight of bullet down the tube. Haven't seen anyone shoot it through a chronograph yet with the faster load and would like to know just how close it is to that 3000 mark they claim. Thanks for the pics. Neat rifle.

I'll try to get some velocities this weekend, hopefully.

Latest posts

Top Bottom