18" lightweight AR barrel...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After fondling a JP over the weekend I want to have my 18" rifle length-gas HBAR turned down under the handguard. Definitely want to get it done before the monthly rifle match starts. It's not monstrously heavy or anything, but I want it to point a little quicker.

Any idea what diameter they use? :)

ai14.photobucket.com_albums_a320_mmchambers06_mcSPR.jpg

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a great looking rifle. What length is the handguard?

15". Covers the rifle length gas. :thumb:

It's lightweight, but there are definitely lighter ones out there. After the USSA rifle match later this month I'm either sending the barrel off to Adco or taking it Steve B for re-profiling. I wish I had some way of knowing what kind of weight it will save.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd like to get my 16" lightened. Maybe just fluted? [Broken External Image]

Also. My Remington R-15 has an 18" fluted barrel that's fairly light. but its .223 only, supposedly.

[Broken External Image]

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
just do it, itll be worth it.

Will do. If you'd ever get that lathe going all the way you could do it. :D

I don't know the answer, but I'm interested in seeing how this turns out. Ultimately I want an 18-20" lightweight config with RLGS, similar to your goal. Very nice looking rifle. What's your twist rate?

I'm going to weigh it before and after I have the work done and will report back. It's a DPMS MK12 barrel. It's stainless, teflon-coated and cheap ($160). It's no JP, but it's still way accurate. 1-8" twist. Once it sheds some weight, it will be ideal, really. :D

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You got that straight!

How much will it cost for a smith to mill off the dead weight, do you think?

It's pretty reasonable since it's nothing fancy. $45 + shipping from AR15barrels.com....$65, I think, from Adco?

Don't know how much Steve will charge. It will be around there. Turnaround time is the deciding factor here. I'll want it back before January. I'm not going to have it refinished. I'll probably blast it and leave it matte stainless.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a 20" lother walther medium contour and now an 18" JP and both feel a little too muzzle heavy. So i was gonna do exactly what your thunking about doing. I talked to the guys i bought the rifles from and Jim at Firebird Precision cautioned me against it saying that if i did so to make sure the machinist had a very nice lathe and the ability to true up the barrel with the bore 100%. On my JP I was gonna have that fat end turned down or fluted and the cautioned me that cutting the barrel now could change the varrels harmonics and effect accuracy.

Neither party said it can't work they both just said bad things can happen. I decided to sell the firebird and I'm gonna shoot the JP until it drops below 2 moa and then get a new one with the profile/weight I now desire.

That handguard is wicked cool! Who makes it?

I just received my new PRI 15" carbon fiber. I am excited about not burning my hands on the gas block any more:). Plus I'm shaving a little weight out front too

Seems like 15" is the new 12".

Latest posts

Top Bottom