1911 9mm question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beau

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would not change you mind in that direction. I would however point out that I got a Dan Wesson PM-9 through Kentucky Gun Company for $1,364 delivered to my FFL. It is far better than the Smith and superior to the Kimber in every way. Some very knowledgeable 1911 guys would agree.

I agree. I would pick a Dan Wesson every time over Kimber and S&W.

Last edited:

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I bought a Kimber 1911 9mm one time, damn near threw it over the berm on my way back to my range bag to switch back to my 9mm RIA....true story.

+1 on the RIA. I have a 9mm GI and its a blast to shoot. Maybe not as pretty, but definitely reliable and inexpensive. It shoots and carries just like a thousand dollar gun for about $400. I'm saying that as an avid SW fan.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are we talking about the guardian model? I've been researching this morning and have only read glowing remarks. I'm pretty sure I didn't see one at H&H yesterday.

I was assuming you were talking full size 5" for competition or target, so I was referring to the PM-9. If you want a CCW 1911, the Guardian is superb. When funds allow it, I'll be selling my S&W 1911PD to get a Guardian in .45.

XChosen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree. I would pick a Dan Wesson every time over Kimber and S&W.

Guys I appreciate the feedback and from my research DW is an excellent choice. Problem is I haven't found one DW in any of the places I frequent. HH, BigBoy, Sooner so far not one is in the area and certainly not one in a 9mm. I won't buy a gun I can't lay my hands on.

HH and BB both show as dealers but they don't have any.

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have owed a Springfield 9 and a Colt Combat Commander in nine. Best mags I found to use were the Springfield. Both worked well but were not very accurate.

Got my money back out of the Colt plus some. Okies will pay for Colts.

Last 1911 I would spend my money on would be the Kimber.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Guys I appreciate the feedback and from my research DW is an excellent choice. Problem is I haven't found one DW in any of the places I frequent. HH, BigBoy, Sooner so far not one is in the area and certainly not one in a 9mm. I won't buy a gun I can't lay my hands on.

HH and BB both show as dealers but they don't have any.

The PM-9 is a limited run item and they only ship so many per year. I got mine through Kentucky Gun Co. (at a great price I might add), which is a very reputable internet FFL. It doesn't seem to be any tougher to find than the S&W 1911 9mm though. I just shot mine at the Oil Capital IDPA match on Saturday and it ran like a beast! I have no complaints and the cost to performance ratio is likely the best I've seen in a 1911. :)

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I love having a 9mm 1911. All my autos are 9mm right now, so it made sense. Not that I don't want a .45, but the light recoil and accuracy are fun.

i157.photobucket.com_albums_t52_m5stingray18_Guns_1911_JPG_DNGIMG_8726_Small.jpg

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shot my Dan Wesson PM9 at Oil Cap this weekend too :D It's my entry into ESP and shooting 1911's regularly. Kevin Toothman did a 2.5 lbs trigger job and recessed the slide stop last year. I've got a Valor also. If they made a gun just like the PM9 in .45 I'd be all over it too.
I got mine from Damascus Gun Shop, they are a good group too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom