1911 Heirarchy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hate my Colt Defender. I gave up trying to fix it. It flings the brass straight back into your forehead. I've had the ejector tuned, replaced, tweaked, polished, lowered the ejection port, and the list goes on and on. I could have bought 2 other guns now that I've spent the cash to fix this one. So, unless its a Colt revolver... I'll never own another Colt handgun.

And no I'm not limp wristing it. Everybody that has shot it, it hits them dead center in the forehead.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You really can't just ask a general question of "who makes the best 1911" with out placing restrictions on it.

For under $1k, the Springer's and STI's are nice. Between $1-2k (new), I wouldn't bother.

Over $2k, Nighthawk makes a really nice gun and they don't use any drop-in barrels at all, but it can take a while to get it if you order something custom from the factory. Although Nighthawk does have more than one smith that works on each gun, they are a true custom handgun. That is contrary to what many people think, but I can assure you, it's more "custom" than anybody else in the same price range (if you don't believe me, call them and with the most wild idea for your pistol you can think of and see if they'll do it).

Wilson makes a fine, very consistent product on a very consistent schedule (if they tell you 5 weeks, it's usually dang close), however, everything but their master grade guns use a drop in barrel.

Ed Brown guns are nice, normally consistent, but I've heard that their customer service has gone down hill lately. I will say though, I have not handled any of their guns and I am solely going off of other people's reports.

Les Baer makes a nice gun, I've handled a few and they seem pretty solid.

If you are concerned that your gun be built by one smith only, Dr. Greyson seems to have a loyal following, but I've never handled any of his. I have spoken shop with him before, and he lost me at hello.

Luke Volkemann makes a really nice pistol around the $3k mark (he just raised prices because the feds slapped a huge excise tax on him).

Heirloom custom makes nice guns, but they are purdy pricey.

There's also John Harrison and Nowlin.

Let us know some more details.

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hate my Colt Defender. I gave up trying to fix it. It flings the brass straight back into your forehead. I've had the ejector tuned, replaced, tweaked, polished, lowered the ejection port, and the list goes on and on. I could have bought 2 other guns now that I've spent the cash to fix this one. So, unless its a Colt revolver... I'll never own another Colt handgun.

And no I'm not limp wristing it. Everybody that has shot it, it hits them dead center in the forehead.

I'll give you 10 dollars for it.:hyper:

Neil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am not able to comprehend how much better a high-end 1911 can possibly be than a $700 production model. Accurate and reliable is accurate and reliable. What am I missing?

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I am not able to comprehend how much better a high-end 1911 can possibly be than a $700 production model. Accurate and reliable is accurate and reliable. What am I missing?

Different people have different definitions of accurate and reliable.

I would add to those two; ergomonic.

How accurate is accurate enough? How reliable is reliable enough? How comfortable is comfortable enough?

I think that when a 1911 is held, it should be an extension of yourself, it should be melded to yourself like Tony Stark and his suit of armor. No stock gun is going to give you that.

True 1911 operators are skilled pistoleros. They know what the platform's capabilities are, and they are good enough shooters to where the stock platforms are limiting their abilities and performance.

This is similar to dedicated glock operators that know what some mods can do for them, and their shooting.

Folks (and Im not talking about you, Neil; just in general) that look at a custom gun as 30 hundred dollar bills, and look at the aspect of modifying their glock as possibly hurting its value, or their idea of what a gun should look like, just simply dont get it; they are more collectors, or general gun enthusiasts, or are deluding themselves as to their (and their guns) potential.

Good question, Neil. I was in your shoes about 8 years ago. Im pretty deep in the rabbit hole now! :)

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Speaking from ownership....

Les Baer - Great guns that are extremely well fit and crazy tight. Definately the best bang for the buck so to speak in the "semi-custom" market. I've heard reports of him being difficult to deal with and I will say that he's stubborn with his specs on Commander sized guns (which are incorrect) and finishes.

Wilson - Great company and their customer service will bend over backwards for you. They also make some of the best parts out there and their frame and slides are some of the best along with Baer.

Nighthawk - neat guns but I've seen more inconsistency from them than any other "semi-custom" builder. They DO however have a great CS which is fortunate. :D

Nowlin - great guns, but nobody is building them anymore, rather they lost consistency when they got rid of Terry Boehler.

Yost - Ted really pays attention to detail and it shows. Far and above what you will get from even a Supergrade from Wilson. IF I could afford it, I would own a full house from Ted. :D Along with a few other LTW smiths.

Springfield Custom Shop - I'm really impressed by these guys, impecable service and a very consitent product. My full house custom shop is literally a one hole gun.

Greyson - Best 1911 I own, hopefully soon to be a pair. Honestly, there is no comparison..... having a smith build you one to YOUR pereferences really is worth it over spending $3-4K with Wilson, Baer, Brown, or Nighthawk. IMHO. :D :D

OkieOFT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

I'm with you, though i'm even cheaper. My RIA 1911 that cost $400 was just as tight, if not tighter, as the $7-900 Kimbers laying next to it. Could shoot a little ragged hole at 30 yards like nothing and it digested any round I ever put in it.

Freind of mine has a $5000 Wilson Combat 1911, 100% custom. I outshot him every time with my $400 RIA. When I shot his pistol, my accuracy went down, using the same ammo.

If I was a rich man, you bet i'd have an entire room full of $5000 custom pistols and rifles. But i'm not a rich man...My money has to be spent sensibly. I'll take cheap, accurate and reliable over expensive accurate and reliable any day.

jmtgsx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Aesthetics.
Knowing that all the pieces were fit to work together within very tight tolerances. Seeing a properly fit beavertail, or feeling how a gunsmith fit barrel locks up the same way every time. Knowing that every magazine you own will insert and feed. Not seeing mill marks and rough edges, burrs, and uneven lines. Ever felt 40 LPI checkering?

I'm spoiled to custom. That said, I'd still like to own a Rock River.

Latest posts

Top Bottom