1911 Heirarchy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HackerF15E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hate my Colt Defender. I gave up trying to fix it. It flings the brass straight back into your forehead. I've had the ejector tuned, replaced, tweaked, polished, lowered the ejection port, and the list goes on and on. I could have bought 2 other guns now that I've spent the cash to fix this one. So, unless its a Colt revolver... I'll never own another Colt handgun.

And no I'm not limp wristing it. Everybody that has shot it, it hits them dead center in the forehead.

So, the performance of one pistol means the entire brand is out. Gotcha.

FAL guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wilson makes a fine, very consistent product on a very consistent schedule (if they tell you 5 weeks, it's usually dang close), however, everything but their master grade guns use a drop in barrel.

I was only able to find a few models listed on their website that did not describe the barrel as "Match" grade, and even less that did not say "hand fit".

I'm not sure where you learned about the drop-in barrel thing, but I think you could be mis-informed.

I'll check with the rep. when I get in the office.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm with you, though i'm even cheaper. My RIA 1911 that cost $400 was just as tight, if not tighter, as the $7-900 Kimbers laying next to it. Could shoot a little ragged hole at 30 yards like nothing and it digested any round I ever put in it.

Freind of mine has a $5000 Wilson Combat 1911, 100% custom. I outshot him every time with my $400 RIA. When I shot his pistol, my accuracy went down, using the same ammo.

If I was a rich man, you bet i'd have an entire room full of $5000 custom pistols and rifles. But i'm not a rich man...My money has to be spent sensibly. I'll take cheap, accurate and reliable over expensive accurate and reliable any day.

You will see the difference eventually if you shoot it often. :D RIAs are neat, cheap guns but their small parts aren't up to the same standard. I saw one spit the bushing out at the range turning it into a single shot. Guy literally pulled it out and said.. "hey have you seen one of these?" and then took a shot and parts went flying downrange. The slides are also extrusions, compared to Kimber or Wilson that are forged? That doesn't scream longevity. I really do like them for the price, but comparing them to a Wilson or even Kimber is extremely misleading. I have a tough time believing it's tighter than a Kimber but that's just me. Post a review of that RIA after 20K rounds, it would be interesting to see the results.

I'm not sure where you learned about the drop-in barrel thing, but I think you could be mis-informed.

Kinda curious about this myself. I hope he's not trying to relay that the barrels just merely drop in or that Wilson doesn't fit them like anyone else does?

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not able to comprehend how much better a high-end 1911 can possibly be than a $700 production model. Accurate and reliable is accurate and reliable. What am I missing?
Craftsmanship.

You can have a group of Hispanics build you a log house and it be just as functional as one built by a Tennessee mountain man... but the difference is in the details, some of which you don't notice until a few years down the line.
Dude; I love that stuff on italian subs ! mmmm!
:hey3:
I was only able to find a few models listed on their website that did not describe the barrel as "Match" grade, and even less that did not say "hand fit".

I'll check with the rep. when I get in the office.

My source is pretty good :hey3:. It's just a matter of adhering to their business model. Ol' Yeller may be able to inform me more... but properly fitting a barrel is the most time consuming process on a 1911.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They still have a smith at Nowlin, his name is Norman, but I can't think of his last name. I guess he is only there a couple days a week, but he didn't seem to be in the good of health when I met him. That was about this time last year.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When did Terry leave, and he is still smithing? I took my CCW class from him. Really nice guy!!

It's been more than a few years I believe. I dunno if he is building guns anywhere but I heard he was going to build airplanes? I have NO idea if that's true, just that Nowlin pushed him out. I had two guns on order, and I cancelled them immediately after meeting "the Greek" or whomever that guy is they have doing guns.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My source is pretty good . It's just a matter of adhering to their business model. Ol' Yeller may be able to inform me more... but properly fitting a barrel is the most time consuming process on a 1911.

So you are saying Wilson doesn't properly fit barrels?

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kinda curious about this myself. I hope he's not trying to relay that the barrels just merely drop in or that Wilson doesn't fit them like anyone else does?

Don't misunderstand, they aren't Sarco's roto barrels. :)

Here's how you tell the difference... if you look at the right side of the barrel, top left on the right lug will be a little "D" if it's drop in. If it's not there, it's a NM barrel.

Here they are from Midway's site...
Drop in
[Broken External Image]

NM
[Broken External Image]

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So you are saying Wilson doesn't properly fit barrels?

lol, you would try to go there wouldn't you?

They guy asked for a comparison and the pros and cons, I gave them to him.

What I'm saying is that Wilson Combat is VERY good at running a business. They are able to consistently deliver a product within a quoted time frame. Part of that is using their drop in barrels because it speeds up production. Wilson makes a fine product, I never said anything to the contrary.

Latest posts

Top Bottom